Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help.

I have a pneumatic toilet. The flush started to get a bit temperamental, and I had to push it hard or multiple times to get it to flush. This went on for a couple weeks, and then it stopped flushing completely.

I have swapped a few easily removable parts from my other toilet where possible (I was thinking the plastic bellow was may be faulty, but have replaced that and no change).

It may be worth noting that although it doesn't flush when pushing the button, if I open up the cistern it flushes fine from in there. I also thought perhaps the air might not be getting to the valve, but when I push the button I can see/hear the air getting to it. It just doesn't seem to flush.

I have tried multiple plumbers to come out and try to fix it, but they all ask for a picture (see attached) and every single one has said they can't fix it/won't come out once I have sent the pictures.

I am just looking for advice. Is there anything I can do? Is the issue to do with the fact it is a concealed unit and might be difficult to get the wooden panels off?

I was wondering if something like this would be worth buying, or even if it is a like for like replacement https://www.mytoiletspares.co.uk/ideal-standard-spares-sf-vlv--1-5-180h-180-o-f-pneu-sv93367.html

At the same time, even if this was suitable I wouldn't know how to fit it and doesn't seem like any local plumbers are wanting to come out and install it for me.

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what the issue might be or why plumbers I have tried don't seem to think they can help? If it is needing a new flush valve, is there a particular type that I need to look for when replacing it, and would it be a complex job to fit, given it is a concealed unit?

Thanks very much

Attachments

• IMG-20240408-WA0020.jpeg
    IMG-20240408-WA0020.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20240408-WA0022.jpeg
    IMG-20240408-WA0022.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20240429-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20240429-WA0006.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 21
Sponsored Links
Don't see the problem there - just needs the current drop valve swapped for a different one - one preferably not pneumatic, but loads that would suit.

The trouble will be getting to the old one, pas that cabinet - removing it and making it all watertight again and making good but shouldn't be beyond any competent plumber.

Its got to be the valve, the tube, or the push button (bellows).

Always worth checking the tube for splits/loose ends.

The valve in the link looks identical to me. If so it will twist off the cradle so would require no further dismantling to swap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for all the advice.

Pardon my ignorance, but is it simple enough to replace a pneumatic valve with one like the fluidmaster linked in the post above? Reason I ask is as I am potentially looking to move house fairly soon (within the next year), so I am currently just trying to resolve this issue at as low a cost as possible. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this sort of repair - ie whether replacing the valve has to be like for like (ie having to purchase a more expensive similar looking penumatic valve or if I can just get a cheaper one like the fluidmaster above and be able to fit that without issue) or also if the fact it is behind a cabinet might present problems in terms of replacing a valve.

Thanks very much to all for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back