Change old heating pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have bought a house which I believe was built in the early sixties. I am going to carry out a full refurbishment on it. The previous owners carried out little or no maintenance on it so I guess the heating system was left to deteriorate. I am replacing everything in the heating system but I am in two minds whether to try and keep the heating pipes (which are mostly built under the ground floor screed) or to replace them all. See the photo below showing corrosion on the pipes where they exit the floor. They are made of copper and I thought that copper lasted forever but I do not know about these ones.
If I replace the pipes, is it possible to route them along the skirting board edges an box them with a larger looking skirting board?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are updating everything, then I would take a guess that the heating system will be pressurised. In this case, change ALL pipe work.

Yes you can route the pipes along the skirting board.

Andy

Thanks, I did not know that the old heating systems were not pressurised. This will be use a gas combi boiler.

Copper pipes in a concrete floor should have been sleeved to protect them, concrete attacks and corrodes copper. To be certain i'd replace them, fitting a combi and pressurising old pipes, especially if there is doubt regarding their condition could prove a mistake. It may also be prudent to fit new radiators at the same time (if not already planning to do so), pressurising the new system will soon find any weak spots..... :eek: Older type heating systems are usually open vented, and work at atmospheric pressure.

You can get trunking designed to conceal a pair of pipes if that is preferable to having visible pipework.

Sponsored Links
Agree with the guys - rip out the lot and scrap it all - new rads will be smaller , more efficient and , best of all come pre finished with a gloss hardwearing paint - not like those existing things where you had to paint them :mad: 1960`s heating systems are generally C-rap . They weren`t much better in the 70`s when I started -Central heating inhibitor ? what`s that :rolleyes:

As per adivce in previous posts because:
1) Looks like existing MAY be an old Single pipe system (top & Bottom conns to rads)
2) Pressurising old systems can lead to leaks under floors
3) Leaks on sealed sysems are a real pain!

Rip out & start from scratch would be my advice! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back