Consumer unit in conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Are there any rules or regulations that would prevent the main consumer unit for a property being installed in a conservatory?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Can't see any reason why not if it is built to standard and not just a flimsy lean-to affair knocked up over a few weekends.

The CU and all associated wiring would obviously have to comply with current regs.

High ambient temperatures may be a consideration, particularly if the CU would be in full sun for any length of time.

Sponsored Links
If I forget to leave the door open our conservatory gets up to 45deg in summer

If I forget to leave the door open our conservatory gets up to 45deg in summer
I don't doubt that. In fact, my dining room can approach such temps if I don't close the curtains on appropriate days (and I doubt that anyone would even think of that as a reason for it being an inappropriate location for a CU!). Mind you, I've also seen CUs installed in places which are (literally or effectively) 'airing cupboards'.

It's perhaps not quote as bad as one might think. As far as I can see, most MCBs/RCBOs/RCDs are specced for ambient temps up to at least 40°C.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back