Opening up staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of removing the underside off my existing staircase and taking out the risers in order to bring more light to the room. How easy is this, do I need planning permission and is there any online guides on how to do it properly?

Sponsored Links
Rather than bodge an existing staircase you could go for one of those glass stairs with steel frame.
Would not you be better putting a bigger or another window in?

Thanks for the suggestions. The glass stairs sound nice but expensive.
Putting a new window in sounds like a lot of hassle and mess.
I had hoped that modifying my existing stairs would be simpler and cheaper, as I would be modifying rather that totally replacing them.

I think if you look at your stairs they will be fairly rough underneath. Taking riser away will need some reinforcement to prevent movement. I have not seen it done as a modification so best of luck.

Sponsored Links
You must not remove the risers from this type of stiarcase as they are structural members and wedged to the stringers. The stairs would be unsafe to use.
Also you must not leave a space of greater than 100mm between treads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back