Replacing Wax Seal on toilet question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I think I need to replace the wax seal on my toilet, a la these instructions here; http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/bath/fixt_repair/toilet/wax_ring/replace.htm

However my toilet has a pipe at the back, I assume that's where the wax ring will be and not underneath like on the website?

Picture;

Also, anyone know what this tap thing is? Its in a cupboard under the stairs, I obviously need to turn the water off before I fiddle with the bog - is this the water off tap? Thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
thats gas.

we haven't got wax seals on our toilets. thats probably an american site.

why do you think the wax seal needs changing ?

thats gas.

we haven't got wax seals on our toilets. thats probably an american site.

why do you think the wax seal needs changing ?

D'oh!

It's leaking around that tube thing at the back, I assumed after googling leaking toilet that that seemed to be the problem. What's the UK Solution?

Sponsored Links
personally looking at the pic i would get the longer connector the one that can be cut down.

as yours looks abit short. ;)
wc-con2.jpg

The wax seal is an American setup. Their plumbing practises are different to typical UK installations.

The american setup came about because of the common use of vertical outlets from WCs dropping through the floor, with the connection out of sight to the plumber trying to assemble it. So they stuff the joint with a non-setting compound ('wax') and hope it seals itself....

UK practise uses a pan connector with a flexible rubber seal to fit the back of the pan, and flexible fins to seal inside the soil pipe. No 'wax' anywhere.

From the look of your piccie, there may be an alignment problem between the soil pipe and the pan, and the connector doesn't appear to be fully engaged with the soil pipe.

Trimming the end of the soil pipe, and using a longer connector may help on both counts.

Are you sure the leak is from the pan connector? leaks from the cistern to pan connection (doughnut washer) often end up dripping onto the pan connector.

A wad of tissue on top of the connector will soon tell if the leak is above it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back