Sealing dusty concrete floor and epoxy treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a builder but I do realise that something needs to be done about my bare concrete floor before I go putting anything more on top. The amount of dust it generates is nothing short of incredible.

What is the best way of sealing this? - I have heard different things from different people, everything from waterproofing paint to various oils.

Would I be able to paint it with an epoxy product to make it reflective afterwards? - Would this be inadvisable if in the future I decide to carpet it over?

Advice is much appreciated if you have any experience of this.

Screenshots below:

Sponsored Links
How much preparation do you think it needs?

1. Sweeping
2. Degreasing? - (Really?)
3. Mop with water - leave to dry for 24 hours
3. Apply sealant - leave to dry for 24 hours

Does this sound about right?

I would put a coat of floor primer
like f.ball p131, Ardex p51 or mapie prim t
diluted 4-1
Then second coat 2-1
If its a new concrete floor then the drying time for a ave 6inch screed is approx a year.

Sponsored Links
If I wanted to give this a glossy finish, what procedure would you recommend?

1.) Clean
2.) Floor Primer - Can this be coloured/glossy so as to do the job in one coat?

I want to get this right the first time so I'm a little panicky! : ]

Top floor

Edit: I've found some sort of guide here:

http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how-to-apply-epoxy-concrete-floor-coating/

So I can use epoxy paint as a sealer and a means of colouring the area in one go?

If I wanted a gloss/reflective finish, I'd just add a clear epoxy coat on top after it dries it seems.

Has anyone done something similar? - Anything I should be concerned about besides fumes during the application process?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back