What type of shower cartridge is this and how to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster, looking for some advice/help. My shower is dripping and I believe the shower cartridge needs changing.

Does anyone recognise the type below? And any advice on how to remove? It doesn't seem to have the removal mechanisms seen on other types. Is it possibly something to do with the two holes in the metal plate -perhaps a specific tool is required to remove them?

Would appreciate any advice. Thank you

20240428_124811.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is it a bar mixer? If so, a whole new shower valve will be a lot less hassle than a replacement cartridge and may be cheaper. The pipe centres should be a standard 150mm.
If you wanted to change the cartridge, showerdoc.com may be able to identify it and advise on removal. Looks like it needs a special tool but you may get away with using a small screwdriver in one of the holes and gently tapping it anticlockwise.

Sponsored Links
As suggested - That brass ring with the holes will probably tap around to the left to unscrew. The trick will be getting a cartridge to suit once it's out. As suggested may be easier just to get a replacement bar shower.

Only issue with that these days is how cheap some of these things are becoming. The quality is absolute crap and IMO it just fuels the more and more common - don't fix something, replace it with some cheap $hit - approach and do that again in 2 years when it fails.

... and don't get me started about financing China's counterfeit manufacturing base that just rips the a$$ out of everything good these days - apparently around ~80% of the worlds counterfeit production is tracked back to them.

Thanks all - very helpful, really appreciate it. I'll check out showerdoc.com and perhaps try the screw driver tapping trick.

I'm not sure if the replacement shower valve above would work, as there are two outflows from what I can see (see the photo below of the entire shower - might need a specific replacement) - or a case of replacing the entire shower (which seems a shame - outside of the dripping it works fine).

20240501_103547.jpg

yup, that's quite specific with the hard pipe riser fitting straight into the bar with the handset outlet below. Worst case it would all need replaced.

Ok, now we get a better picture, this would be worth a punt!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back