1 radiator the bane of my life

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right guys I am quite literally stumped with a constant confused look on my face. So did what I needed to do as advised in my previous thread about flushing the system found here:

So after taking the rad in question off the wall I connected a 1/2” flexi pipe to the return valve, opened the full valve under the boiler and let it run for 15 minutes whilst the water eventually turned clear shooting out into a bucket. Initially when I did this the water sprayed out with considerable pressure but I’m assuming that’s becAuse the boiler was at 1.5 bar pressure but once I let the return valve run and opened the fill valve the boiler could only push at 0.5 bar pressure so the water was coming out as the same pressure the water mains was coming in. Anyway 15 minutes later I turned off the return and connected the flexi to the flow and did the same thing. Once I did this I thought I’d go one step further and went to the radiator downstairs with the drain valve, connected a hose pipe to it and drained the system. At this point I opened every valve on all the other radiators excluding the one I took off the wall as if I opened these valves water would gush out onto the carpet. I then opened the fill valve again and let the system drain through the hose pipe into the gutter outside until the water pretty much turned into drinking water (not that I tried to drink it). I did this for another 20 minutes. Whilst standing watching the water draining into the gutter with conviction this was going to sort all my problems out I came to yet another spur of the moment and went to screwfix to buy a replacement radiator just to be extra sure I was doing the most! Anyway back home, fitted the new radiator, refilled the system, added a litre of inhibitor, bled the system, switched the boiler on, put the boiler into purge mode, waited until it did its thing and then bled the radiators again and this was it. I was ready after a stupidly long day and face looking like I’d just crossed the finish line, I walked towards the boiler with my index finger ready to hit that on button. I pressed it, the pump hummed, and the heating started. Started downstairs in the kitchen as this is where the boiler is situated, the radiator in there, nice and hot, moved into the downstairs toilet, radiator nice and hot, corridor, hot, downstairs living room… hot, upstairs master bedroom… hot, upstairs toilet… hot… then I walked to the second bedroom, the one in question and I touched the radiator…. #%^#%#€$¥#+^!!! Still the same! Feed pipe piping hot, water through radiator warm only along the top and return pipe cool as anything. What the f*ck is it?!? I had enough I shut it all off and went to sleep. Next day I thought let’s try something, so I turned off every radiator in my house apart from the troubled one, I opened both flow and return to max and went on to switch the heating on, I can hear the pump running but the flow pipe that leaves the boiler and goes straight upstairs into the secondary bedroom and into the trouble radiator was cold, not warming up at all indicating no hot water running through the pipe, I waited 10 minutes, nothing. So I went to the master bedroom which is the furthest point from the boiler and turned the trv on, well I got my mrs to do it while I stood by the boiler touching both flow and return pipes, as soon as she did this I felt the flow pipe get hot and the master bedroom radiator started to warm up pretty much within 1 minute. Now only the master bedroom radiator and the troubled radiator is on at this point so I sit in the small bedroom and wait to see if anything happens, about 10 mins later I can feel the flow pipe getting hot and 20 mins later the radiator is only slightly warming up on the top side and the below is cool and the return is cool. Also note with the two radiators on, the master bedroom working one I only opened the lock shield half a turn from close whereas the troubled one is open fully. Now from this investigation it seems if I only try to have the troubled radiator on and all the others off, no water flows through the pipes, but as soon as I open any other radiator the water begins the flow and even towards the troubled one but as previously mentioned with only a bit of warmth going through the radiator. I’m literally stumped on what the problem is. Winter is around the corner and I don’t fancy using an electric heater in that room all winter. Please oh learned ones… help me, please help me, and please please patiently read my message essay so I don’t have to come back to messages telling me it’s air in the radiator and I need to bleed it, because I might quite literally jump out my bedroom window.

Thanks and good luck to you helping me guys!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a water flow and return problem.
Maybe a blocked pipe full of crud.
I remember taking off a radiator without any water coming out because of sludge inside.
I've also known debris in a pipe that was moving and would stop the flow. Was some silicone.

Could you replace pipes from known good to troubled radiator?

Sounds like a water flow and return problem.
Maybe a blocked pipe full of crud.
I remember taking off a radiator without any water coming out because of sludge inside.
I've also known debris in a pipe that was moving and would stop the flow. Was some silicone.

Could you replace pipes from known good to troubled radiator?
Hi wayners, thanks for the reply, could it still be a blocked pipe when I opened both return and flow valves whilst radiator off the wall and had the fill valve open so water could gush out into a bucket? I mean it wouldn’t be impossible to replace the pipes but it would mean having to take up the carpet all over the upstairs

Do you think the pump pressure is not the same as fill pressure if you have obstruction?
I don't know but asking.

Sponsored Links
Do you think the pump pressure is not the same as fill pressure if you have obstruction?
I don't know but asking.
Possibly, you might be right however the water exiting the valves on the pipes have the same pressure as if I were to use the hose pipe in the garden from the mains so if there was obstruction in the pipes I would see a reduction in the pressure of the flow even if by a little no?

Update.. so I turned every radiator on in the house (7 of them) and now the radiator is quite hot at the top to the point it’s giving off heat and Luke warm at the bottom. So the troubled radiator only gets hot if all of the radiators are on, but if I switch off the kitchen, downstairs toilet, and corridor radiator… the troubled radiator starts to lose its heat. What is going on :s

Have you tried turning off ALL the hot ones and seeing if the cold one gets hot?

This suggest a balancing error and is fairly easy to correct.

You had an earlier thread about flushing, so I presume you have already done a chemical clean, flushed it out, rinsed, and added a corrosion inhibitor.

During the flush you should have fully opened each radiator, one at a time, opening both the control and the lockshield valves. After the clean you should have rebalanced the system.

Sounds very much like problem rad is connected to the flow or return primary at both ends.

Edit: ie... rad is connected to "one" pipe (either flow or return).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back