10mm thread.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brain has gone do-lally. I can't remember what the common pitch is for a 10mm bolt thread.

Is it, 1.0, 1.25 or 1.5

I know you can get it in all three sizes but mine bolts are likely to be the most common pitch. Need to buy a new tap to thread a hole and don't want to get the wrong one.

Sponsored Links
Don't you have another nut or bolt to get a match?
It's going in to a tapped hole. Need to get a tap to re-thread the hole and use some loctite. Once it's in, it will never be coming out again.

1.5mm
1.25mm would be a fine thread.
@wobs, Ah, that helps. The bits of thread remaining on the old bolt are quite fine.
So I think I'll try to source a 1.25 bolt and see how it fits the internal thread. The internal one is in the end of a small shaft and quite difficult to see the condition of. Do you think I would get away with a 1.5mm pitch and a glob of loctite?

Sponsored Links
I posted this the other day on another thread...
Got to love Zeus! :)

1684415824725.png

I know that, I read your first post.
But, is there only one hole, are there no other ones you can remove?
Sorry if my reply sounded rude or off-hand. It wasn't meant to be.
No, there's no other hole. It's a tapped hole in the end of a shaft that keeps a lawnmower blade in place.

Before taking it apart I thought it bolted into the blade boss, so I placed one on order. As soon as I got the boss off I realised the bolt simply passes through and screws into the shaft from the engine/gearbox unit. Have enquired with the spares supplier if it's possible to buy a separate shaft, but all they did was send me a video on how to replace the blade. Can't see any point in asking them anything technical with a response like that.

My plan is to tap the hole to a standard thread and loctite in a length of 10mm threaded bar. Make it long enough to accept a lock washer and nyloc nut on the outer part of the thread. Make it much easier to change the blade as well.

PS. I've just ordered a set of taps which contain a 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5 taps.
I'll be able to compare the tap thread against a section of good thread on the bolt.

Back