12 foot field gate, how to stop it drooping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 12 foot wooden field gate, it's about two years old, it seems to be a bit 'cheap and cheerful' and over the years I've had to use wood glue and long screws where some of the angled pieces are attached to the horizontals. Despite doing this it continues to very slowly droop over the course of a few months.

What can I do to strengthen it, or is my best option to buy a better 12 foot gate?

If the latter, any recommendations please on a decent manufacturer?

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could add gate wire tensioner from corners .

I know nothing about this... how would the wire help? And how would it be introduced in the current set up? Not intended as a snarky reply. In the event that I come across a similar case scenario I would like to be able to offer advice.

Tnx,

If you put a ring bolt in the top corner in the hinge side, and the bottom corner on the latch side, and pull them together, this will lift the latch side.

A sagging gate is trapezoid, and shortening the diagonal will change its shape.

If you do that, I strongly recommend having a metal plate and a nut on both sides as the bolt is liable to tilt and tear into the wood. There will be a lot of force on it.

When you first tighten it, lever or jack up the gate first so your tensioner just holds it in place, rather than trying to create the initial shape.

1726949516980.png

Another thing you can do, if the ground by the gate is flat and level, is add a jockey wheel to the latch side to take the weight.

Edit
It is probably a parallelogram, not a trapezoid.

I know nothing about this... how would the wire help? And how would it be introduced in the current set up? Not intended as a snarky reply. In the event that I come across a similar case scenario I would like to be able to offer advice.

Tnx,
Basic idea here, though lots of variations depending on gate construction.

The corner brackets are good.

It would look more elegant with a length of studding rather than wire.

A strong L bracket, mounted on the vertical timber, close to the top hinge on the gate. A similar one, at the bottom, at the opening end of the gate. Link the two brackets, with some steel wire rope, with a turn buckle, to enable to wire to be tightened. Fit a similar arrangement, to match it on the back of the gate, tighten up equally, to avoid the gate twisting, and it will help take the weight of the gate.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back