13A plug has loose fuseholder (Ed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
17215064613075843781797527836003.jpg

Is that white switch looking thing supposed to be rattling and hanging out? Just curious as to whether it's safe or not, it's really stressing me out and I'm wondering if it's safe for the kids to use for their laptop, if it's not normal, I'd appreciate help on what to do, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If i'm not mistaken there's a fuse in there, 13A.
Once in the socket it won't move, but it shouldn't be rattling.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much, and it only rattles when I move the plug around or shake it. So it's fine if we still use the plug?

Thanks so much, and it only rattles when I move the plug around or shake it. So it's fine if we still use the plug?

What is rattling, will likely be the fuse, and that is not OK. In your photo, there is a white component, located within the white area. I suspect that white component is the carrier for the fuse, and it appears not to be fully pushed home, hence the rattling fuse. Try pressing it firmly into place.

Remove the fuse cover and re install it again.
It's a flip out fuse cover, it can not be removed and reinstalled.

And yes, the cover can be slightly loose, as the fuse fits through a ring on the fuse cover - the fuse mounted in it's holders, then keeps the cover in place.

I suspect that white component is the carrier for the fuse, and it appears not to be fully pushed home,
It may be fully home, that's just the way that type of fuse holder is made.
Dead easy to PAT, the fuse holder can be opened with a thumb nail.

Edit
If the OP can rattle the fuse cover back and forth, but then encounters resistance when trying to pull the cover fully open (and fuse out), the contacts are probably fine.

Last edited:
the plastic part or the fuse clip might be damaged, in which case the plug needs replacing.

what appliance does it supply?

It's a laptop the fuse would most likely to be less than 5A.
I've noticed these days, manufacturers are fitting 13A fuses if their leads are 0.75mm² min.

The first time I came across this was when I did a PAT test on an electric heater. I proclaimed the fuse too big for the 0.75mm² flex, which it would be as per the regs, but the manufacturers seem to have different rules.

Why the difference, I do not know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back