15mm push fit fittings on possibly 1/2 pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are 15mm push fit fittings ok on old copper that maybe 1/2 inch?

Sponsored Links
I know on 3/4 you need a converter to 22. But believe 15mm and 1/2inch are similar. Would be hep20 fittings

1. 1/2" copper pipe is 1/2" bore. The outside diameter is usually around 15.8 mm.
2. 15 mm copper pipe is 15 mm outside diameter.
3. So 1/2 " is about 6% larger on the diameter than 15mm.
4. You can usually get away with a 15mm compression olive on 1/2" pipe, but may well require careful filing / sanding while keeping the diameter round.
5. I think there is a risk of damaging / over-compressing the O ring in a push fit fitting forcing it onto 1/2" pipe.
6. If it were me I'd:
6.1 Cut back the 1/2", fit a 1/2" to 15mm converter and a short length of 15 mm pipe. OR
6.2 Expand a short length of 15 mm to 15.8 mm outside diameter

Imperial is measure by ID so the 1/2" pipe is 13mm ID but nearly 16mm OD, so the push fit's internal diameter and O-ring is 15mm and therefore too tight for the imperial pipe. So that's a no to pushfit on imperial.

As suggested, compression will usually always fit, use copper olives as they'll give a little when fitting. use the compression fitting to tap the olive on if it's very tight.

Sponsored Links
I do know you get 1/2" press fit but I don't think they are for water, more for fridge units and other typically imperial sized appliances.

I don't use press fit so couldn't confirm if 15mm pre-fit fittings could be used on imperial but the O-rings may fall into the same specific size issues though there will be chaps on here that do use them and could confirm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back