1960s semi - UPVC window installed without cavity closer!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks,

I've searched the Forums for "window installed without cavity closer" and read some of the results - unf. they don't address my problem.

Our kitchen UPVC window has a loose UPVC windowsill with mould smell coming from below. Took it off to reveal the sight in the photos - I have stuffed the cavity wall insulation back down the gap and moved the heap of random things which were supporting/fixing the windowsill to the middle for your delectation.

I've seen videos of cavity closers being used to 'seal' the gap between the walls before windows are installed. Am thinking to install one then reinstall the sill (using 'Low modulus neutral cure silicone' as advised elsewhere in the forum) BUT the inner brick wall is about an inch below the outer - How can I get them to the same level?

Should I use a suitable wooden 'filler' screwed/siliconed to the bricks and aligned with the internal wall (plasterboard seems straighter than the wall tbh!) before fitting the closer, or is there a better solution?

I don't intend to remove the window so would need to cut the closer to suit around the plastic packers which are supporting the window. Also noticed that the sealant below the window is allowing light through in places so needs replacing from outside (reachable, not a problem).

Hope I've explained enough to elicit a comprehensive and helpful reply!

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: Since posting I found this thread which seems to have a similar problem:

Any advance/advice regarding this is appreciated :)

Attachments

• window sill removed - cavity closer.jpeg
    window sill removed - cavity closer.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 37
  • window sill removed - cavity closer 1.jpeg
    window sill removed - cavity closer 1.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What are you hoping to achieve by fitting a cavity closer along the bottom?

What are you hoping to achieve by fitting a cavity closer along the bottom?
Hoping that it'll improve insulation and make the still easier to reinstall...

Maybe I should revise the question to "what would be the best way to deal with this situation?" and hope that someone is kind enough to give a helpful and comprehensive reply!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back