2 different lights from 1 two gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all could anyone point me in the right direction please

i have a single bulb light in my shed and i have installed an outside light.i want to connect them up to a 2 gang switch,where each switch works a single light(so i could have shed light or outside light on)ok so i have a live lead coming in and 2 other cables
all 2 core plus earth.
i can get both lights connected to 1 switch but thats not what i want ,the switch has 2 com's, 2 L1's and 2 L2s(i understand using the l2's is for two way switches)

thanks guys grateful for any help

Sponsored Links
You need to take a live feed (permanent live, neutral & earth) from a covenient point nearby (shed light?), run that to a junction box, and from there run twin & earth cables to the switch position and the new light fitting outside.

Inside the JB, the permanent live would connect to the red wire of the switch cable, the black wire of the switch cable would be marked with red tape or covered in red sleeving and connected to the live of the cable feeding the outside light, and then the neutral of the feed cable would connect to the neutral of the light cable. And all earths would go together, sleeved in green/yellow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back