2 Doorbells connected to one Byron Transformer/Chime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day. Asking this question for a neighbour who is very keen on this specific set-up. They currently have a push button doorbell wired to a Byron transformer/chime. They have also gone for a battery operated Ring video 2nd generation doorbell that can be hardwired but currently running it on batteries. I checked the voltage from the transformer and it was drawing around 12-16v.

Their requirement is if both the Ring video doorbell and the push button doorbell can stay connected/wired through to the same Transformer/Chime set-up. i.e. Once the Ring video doorbell is hard wired, they don't want the push button doorbell taken away. To get a good view of visitors, they have fitted the Ring doorbell high up, but also want to retain the push button doorbell which is at the bottom about the height of door handle. This way they can have both and could avoid having to recharge and return the Ring batteries every 2 months.

I have recently fitted Ring video 2nd generation doorbell for my own property hardwiring it and would like to help install for this neighbour. Wish to know if this setup is possible (i.e. Ring doorbell and push button doorbell connected to same Transformer/Chime) and if there are any risks or considerations for the same. Or would they need a completely new transformer/chime and new dedicated wiring setup?

Would be happy to recommend them a professional electrician if this set up is possible to be done. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
The spec of the transformers seems to be 8v output so although you are measuring 12-16v it may well drop to 8 under load. What voltage are the batteries being in the Ring.

The spec of the transformers seems to be 8v output so although you are measuring 12-16v it may well drop to 8 under load. What voltage are the batteries being in the Ring.
Hi, what I could see online is that the battery spec is 3.65v 6040 mAh or did you mean the voltage reading when I press the ring doorbell button ? Thanks.

I meant the output voltage of the batteries that they are having to replace. I imagine there are several in series to give a higher voltage than just 1. If the spec means that the Ring needs to operate from 3.65 volts then no you cannot use the Byron transformer, unless you can drop the output voltage to the required voltage for the Ring Device, by some means

Sponsored Links
I think there is more to this ......

The transformer is probably producing AC ...the battery pack will be DC. You cant just connect the output of a transformer in place of a battery even if you match the voltage.

Show us a pic of the 'transformer'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back