2 gang - 8 wires - 1 connecting red wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my hall & landing lights but made a school boy error.. I didn\\\'t record which wires went into which connection. 15 hours later I haven't worked out the correct combination. I have 3 cables:

1. -Red (Live)
-Black

2. -Red (Not live)
-Black
-Earth

3. -Red (Not live)
-Black
-Earth

Switch
top- L1 L2 Common

bottom- Common L1 L2

I also have 1 red wire that links two connections (again don\\\'t know which ones). I know the Earth wires go onto the metal case. can anyone help?!

Sponsored Links
id get a sparky in it doesn't seem like any normal wiring practice and there may be other nasties like borrowed neutrals involved

Why do you make mention of the switch wiring? If you're just replacing the fittings, you don't need to touch the switches.

plugwash said:
id get a sparky in it doesn't seem like any normal wiring practice and there may be other nasties like borrowed neutrals involved

Sounds perfectly normal to me

1. -Red (Live)
-Black

2. -Red (Not live)
-Black
-Earth

3. -Red (Not live)
-Black
-Earth
1) will be the loop-in (I sincerely hope, BTW, that there is an earth conductor in this cable!)

2) and 3) will be the loop-out and switch cables, but without testing there's no way to tell which is which.

James_Raw - I hope you haven't made school-boy-error #2 in thinking that it's OK to work on your electrics without being in possession of a multimeter, as you now need to do a continuity test on the red/black conductors in each cable to identify which one goes to the switch....

Sponsored Links
i thought he was refering to cables at the switch

my misreading

Actually, plug & Ban, I think he does mean the switch wiring - he mentions needing an earth for the box........

If it is switch wiring, then I'm a bit flummoxed, although the following strange method I came upon recently:

The cable with live wire fed as follows: red(live) to common of one switch, and black (switchwire of other light) to other common.

Then the two pairs left would be strappers but as for which is which, I don't know.

I'm NOT saying this is correct, but this is how I found a switch wired.

Need a Multimeter!!

securespark said:
Actually, plug & Ban, I think he does mean the switch wiring - he mentions needing an earth for the box........
You could be right - I was concentrating on the fact that he opened with "I am replacing my hall & landing lights", not "I am replacing my hall & landing light switches"

If it is switch wiring, then I'm a bit flummoxed, although the following strange method I came upon recently:

The cable with live wire fed as follows: red(live) to common of one switch, and black (switchwire of other light) to other common.

Then the two pairs left would be strappers but as for which is which, I don't know.

I'm NOT saying this is correct, but this is how I found a switch wired.

Or he could be talking about the switch in the hall which has 1 gang used in a 2-way for the landing, and one gang as a 1-way for the hall. He's got one cable used as a single to provide a live feed, a short link to provide a second live feed, another cable used as a single for the switched live for the hall and a L1-L1/L2-L2 strapper going to the landing switch. In which case let's hope he has just the one lighting circuit, or he's likely to have a borrowed neutral.

Or we could stop all the guessing until he gets back with some clarification...

Need a Multimeter!!
Absolutely. I do hope you have one, James.....

Didn't realise I would get a response so quickly, thanks. To try and clear some questions up..
It is the light switch I am replacing, I have a two gang switch which when wired correctly will controll two lights (upstairs & downstairs), there is a second 2 gang switch upstairs that also controls the two lights.

I have applied securespark theory and have had some luck although if the upstairs light is switched on from the upstairs switch, I cannot turn it off from downatairs.

I do have a multimeter and taking all correct precautions.

James_Raw said:
I do have a multimeter and taking all correct precautions.

What? You're wearing a condom?

Glad you have had limited success with my theory. But you do need a MM to ascertain the ends of the strappers, which ones are live etc....

To find out which are strappers, join one end of a twin and earth together, and make sure all others are free and the power is off. Put a MM on the reds and blacks of cables at the other end with the thing set to Continuity.

You will get a beep when you connect the meter to the pair that are connected together at one end.

securespark said:
To find out which are strappers, join one end of a twin and earth together, and make sure all others are free and the power is off.
Even better - make sure the power is off and then start joining ends together ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back