2 Way Switch Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my old Crabtree switches with Schneider switches. I am having an issue with the 2 way switching.

-Lights go on and off from each switch but 2 way not working

-From left to right switch 1,2,3 Switch 1 & 2 should be 2 way, 3 is one way for under cabinet lights. Cabinet lights all OK, only 2 way feature from switches 1 & 2 the issue.

See attached images and drawing for current wiring setup ( Third black core is terminated into neutral block)

Attachments

• Wiring Photo.png
    Wiring Photo.png
    800.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Wiring Diagram.png
    Wiring Diagram.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
There is 2 light fittings controlled by the switch so I'm guessing that would be the additional cabling?

There is 2 light fittings controlled by the switch so I'm guessing that would be the additional cabling?
Might be one of them but I wouldn't think so.

Either way the link wire must be altered, and
the same wire must connect the two COMs of the two-way system.

Sponsored Links
The 2 gang switch consists of two separate switches:
Left; the 2 way switch, presumably for the main light.
Right; the 1 way switch for the cabinet lights.

At the 2 gang switch, find the whole cable which has its black connected to the SWITCH itself. (NOT the cable that has its black connected to the neutral blues.)

You will observe this particular cable has brown, black, grey.

The brown of the cable needs to go in the COMMON, of the 2 way switch, ON ITS OWN.

And the short link wire - keep that in the common terminal of the cabinet switch as it is, but put the other end of the link in L1 of the 2 way switch, with the greys.

You will then have a brown wire left over, from a regular twin and earth cable. This wire goes in L2 of the 2 way switch. (Mark this wire with a piece of tape or something, in case I'm wrong.)

THIS IS ALL BASED ON YOUR DIAGRAM BEING CORRECT, AND THE FACT IT LOOKS LIKE IN THE PHOTO THE BROWN FROM THE 2 WAY 3 CORE+E CABLE DOESN'T APPEAR TO GO TO THE 2 WAY COMMON. I think you have simply mixed up two brown wires in the connecting up process.

(Keep the wiring the same at the 1 gang switch.)

Last edited:
I see you are a member of the full stop appreciation society.

I do that sometimes...and I can't blame alcohol...!

I once told Mrs S that slate was porous!

There was a long pause, then she said, "Think about it ..."

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Please explain the two-way switch wiring, then. It is by definition not the normal arrangement.
In the current configuration I can't and neither can you. there appears to be 2 easy and normal solutions to the 2 way switching.

but without knowing what the additional 3C&E is for (or for that matter what all of the cables are for) we don't know what the correct connexions are for the whole of the switch and the wiring and accessories associated with it.

I have roughed out several possibilities but all are... I'll use the term 'untidy'.

Edited to clafiry.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back