230v mini LED downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do ~35mm (mini) LED 230v downlighters exist? I have a tight space to fit several downlighters, such that those requiring 70-80mm holes and 50mm+ of depth are not suitable. I find “mini” downlighters, that claim to be 230v, but when you start looking at the spec they say they require, or include, a separate driver.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Which dimension is a problem?
Why is a built in driver a problem?

Last edited:
Which dimension is a problem?
Why is a built in driver a problem?
The depth is the real problem, but because it is fitting into a curved cornice, the width is also a significant issue.

A built-in driver isn't a problem, if the fitting directly takes a 230v feed. But what I am seeing is fittings that have a separate driver (ie the driver takes a 230v feed, and then has a 100mm or so line to the fitting).

Sponsored Links
The actual light in these fits in a 50mm hole and only needs about 25mm depth
the light unit pushes out of the triangle bit and is connected straight to the mains.
Luckily I got a box of three at a local car boot sale for only £4.!

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
Hmm, I think they are all a bit too big. But the Fonte one does have the least depth requirement, and there is a flush mounting version (that is a bit cheaper):

Perhaps I have to be a bit more creative in making that space and recessing the bezel into the coving. However, still interested in smaller diameter (35-40mm) if anyone has any links.

After buying the Integral and Fonte units I find the following:

The Fonte units will fit the space, but are a little under-powered (lumens). Has no information on space requirements, but does not seem to generate any heat at all.

The Integral unit gets quite hot, and requires 50mm space all round - when the space is not available.

I did some more searching, and found that Integral also has a mini fire-rated GU10 unit:

On the Integral web site there is also something refered to as “Evofire mini micro bezel”, which seems even smaller:

These GU10 units have no information on spacing requirements, only not to lay insulation directly on them. Other than that, can other surfaces be as close as you like? They are fire rated.

I like the idea of the GU10 replaceable bulbs, because you can change the temperature and lumens output easily with different bulbs, and the bulbs have supposedly longer lives and better efficiency than all in one downlighters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back