3 port valve mid position replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice on a 3 port valve replacement please.
Example photos included for reference.
IMG_20241021_034713.jpg

Q. I would prefer to retain a manual valve, can I use any 3 port mid-position valve body (without the actuator) such as the Danfoss HSV3 shown (selected on cost), or do I need to find a manual only version (similar to existing)?
IMG_20241021_034634.jpg

If any can be used, I will make the manual selector dial to go on top of the valve body to replicate the existing blue dial.

It might sound like a silly question, but just want to check the valve bodies that receive actuators are not manufactured or operate differently.

Work required:
- 3 port mid-position valve needs replacing,
- pump needs replacing,
- both gate valves need replacing,

- System to be (power) flushed and treated.
- Magnetic filter to be added

Info:
Current valve: Switchmaster Midi Valve 3 port mid-pos.
Pump: Grundfos Selectric (98.2657) UPS 15-50
Boiler: Baxi WM 51/3 RS, at furthest part of house away from valve.
Program timer next to boiler.

Prefer not to use a valve with actuator, too much wiring and too much work if putting controls next to program timer at boiler, and more parts to fail if operating actuator manually.

Feel free to chuck in any other advice, but please answer my main question about the 3 port mid-position valve.

91LP3cab0uL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80__edit_95064390650077_95351618128158.jpg

Screenshot_20241020_232613_20241021001414217.jpg

Sponsored Links
Reason = availability and cost

Same valve as fitted is only available NOS (new old stock), similar I cant find, and cost is 4x that of just a valve body, ££ v £££.

nos - concerned there may be some degredation to the inner ball/shoe rubber due to the age of the part being around 25+yrs.

(thanks for your reply)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
nos - concerned there may be some degredation to the inner ball/shoe rubber due to the age of the part being around 25+yrs.
I wouldn't really worry about that - these valves are designed to take a hammering with hot and cold system water full of inhibiting chemicals for years - if it is new old stock then it would be pretty apparent visually/feel if the valve stopper was degraded. Even then, that manual valve may not have the same design and may ultimately be a T (ball) valve arrangement
can I use any 3 port mid-position valve body
Yes, don't see why not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back