4 cables into 3 on a light fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change the light fitting in my downstairs toilet, i've done several other lights in the house but i've become stuck on this one. all the other lights have been 3 wires (L,N,E) and have been an easy change. however i've now come across a 4th wire in the toilet. it's got a green, a black and a red wire but also a black wire with red tape on it. the connector in the new light fitting is just for the 3, which is the same for some other lights i fitted? I'm not sure what the 4th wire is, can anyone help with what it is and i need to do with it. TIA

Sponsored Links
It's likely all the reds go together on their own in a seperate connector block which you may need to provide yourself.

The black with the red sleeve is the L to the light.

The remaining blacks are the N to the light.

The greens are EARTH, and need to be connected together - use the earfth terminal on the light if there is one. A metal light needs connecting to earth.

It's likely all the reds go together on their own in a seperate connector block which you may need to provide yourself.

The black with the red sleeve is the L to the light.

The remaining blacks are the N to the light.

The greens are EARTH, and need to be connected together - use the earfth terminal on the light if there is one. A metal light needs connecting to earth.

EDIT, it sounds like you have ONE CABLE with 4 WIRES, after re-reading. If so ignore all above. A photograph maybe useful before you do anything.

The thing to remember is all you are doing is replicating how it's already wired. You need to copy how it's wired to the new fitting, which may include having to fit an additional connector block.

Pictures or a better description may help here.

Sponsored Links
Do you have an extractor in the toilet?

The fourth wire may be a live or switched feed for the extractor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back