4 Floor Townhouse and thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have got a victorian townhouse with 4 floors (basement, first floor, second floor and loft floor). The house is being completely refurbished and I was wondering what to do about thermostats and heating control. The house is going to have external wall insulation being an end of terrace house. The heating system boiler.

Loft floor, bedroom and ensuite
3rd floor: 2 rooms
2nd floor: 2 rooms and a small dinning/kitchen
basement/ground floor - bedroom, open plan lounge + kitchen.

The garden is SW facing.

My questions are around the placing of thermostats and if its possible to have 2 thermostats that can both call for heat, what concerns me is that will one have situation where 1 thermostats shuts off the entire system, and the other one starts off, or what is the best way to achieve this bearing in mind that heat rises and the different floors will have different heating temperatures.

The thermostats will be on landings, and there will be a radiator around the landing area also.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Only my opinion, but while you can have zoning for different floors, if the four floors have vastly differing temperatures, it may be worth looking at a system like Drayton Wiser; it can not only control zones, but also respond to smart TRV's, for more compartmentalised control.

What does your heating engineer advise?

I would say you need at least 2 zones, if not more plus TRVs on most radiators

Sponsored Links
Would the 2 zones work independently?
Yes, your system would be set up with zone valves - each individually controlled by a thermostat.
You mention a system boiler?
If so, you're probably looking at an S-Plan plus system.

lets assume 2 stats, stat A controls lower ground floor + first floor and stat B controls 3rd floor and loft floor. what floor/where would you place the stats ?

lets assume 2 stats, stat A controls lower ground floor + first floor and stat B controls 3rd floor and loft floor. what floor/where would you place the stats ?
I'm afraid I'm not an expert here. Hopefully a pro may join in.
The general advice for single stats, is to put it in the coolest room/hallway in the house.
With multiple stats, I would put one in the most used living area, and one on the main bedroom floor landing.
However, as Murdoch says, ask your heating engineer.

Alternatively, as said earlier, look into smart TRV's, where zones etc. become partially irrelevant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back