4 red wires in two gang one way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can help. I was simply changing over from a 2 gang one way light switch dimmer to a two gang one way light switch. Cardinal sin, I did not label any cables and did not take a pic #gutted.

I have 4 grey cables coming into the switch back box each containing the old 4 x red 4 x black and 4 x earth. Between the common there is a red small link cable. All of the black wires are terminated into a choc block in the back of the switch.

One switch controls a centre living room light and the other switch controls a wall light - they are not two way lighting.

There are no tapes on any of the cables at all.

If you are able to help that would be much appreciated. I have a multimeter on hand.

Sponsored Links
The earths should all be connected together and connected to the faceplate if it is metal. :)
The Blacks left in the connector.

Put each Red in a separate connector block so that they may be tested without them touching anything else.
With the power ON so be careful
Set meter to AC~ to the first setting above 240.

Black probe in meter common terminal - to the Neutral block (the Blacks) and
Red Probe in meter V terminal - to each Red wire in turn and record which ones give a reading of around 240V.

How many Reds are Live?

There's no need to do the tests live, especially for a novice. You can buzz out all of the cables whilst it's dead

Whilst 'Buzzing out' the cables would be safer, it would be much harder for a novice to do.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all. I ran some tests, including continuity tests also and all is solved. 4 x red wires 1 to L1 and com (left side) 1 to L1 and com (right side) and link between com left and right side. All is working fine.
I did not live test.
Note to self - pic and label the cable - every time.

Many thanks to you all.

I don't know why there would be a link between the coms.

Remove it and see if it makes a difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back