4mm & 6mm T&E cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I won some 4mm and 6mm cable (old colours) from different people.

However now I have them side by side they look the same thickness!

I'm not sure which is correct though. I am doubting the 6mm is correct.

Are there markings on the side to indicate 4mm etc or just BS numbers ?

I have a verna caliper, but I was measuring about 3mm on both. Is it as easy as just measuring ?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hello Andy.
The size is given as the cross sectional area.

Overall
4mm can be 6.10 x 11.6 mm
6mm can be 6.9 x 13.3 mm

Yo could cut a bit off and go to b&q or the like and compare it. ;)
Hope this helps

Ed

Are you measuring the thickness of the whole cable? Insulation varies according to brand, so maybe try measuring each strand of wire with your calipers and comparing them with each other.

Sponsored Links
Or if you want to be technical you can use your vernier to measure a single strand, work out the area of each strand by dividing by 2 to give you the radius, and solving pi r², then multiplying the result by the no of strands (usually 7)

If I have done my math right a single strand for 6mm 7 strand has a diamether of about 1.044mm and a single strand for 4mm about 0.853mm

If you cut through the insulation on one core, slide it along a bit to expose a few mm of copper, then twist the core so that it tightens up as much as possible, and then measure the diameter of that, as your vernier caliper will read to a precision of at least 1 DP, you'll be able to tell which is which, as the difference in diameter is significant enough.

some excellent replies thanks.

good idea's to goto b&q or use a yellow crimp to test size.

I had removed the insulation and was measuring the copper only, but I hadn't twisted them tight.

I followed the above steps in all posts but the last.

I think the information contridicts through if you follow all advice. Maybe some of the numbers are mixed up ?

I tried the yellow crimp trick and it was a loose fit on both.

I have ordered some more 6mm and i'll see if that helps conclude for sure !

I did wonder whether anything could be concluded from the CPC, so thanks for pointing that out.

Can you use your vernier to measure a single strand of the 7 core wire?

Please remember that we are talking cross sectional area, not the diameter so you'll need to use πr²

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back