50 A Shower Isolator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to upgrade my shower to 10.8 kW using 10 mm2 cable protected by a 50 A MCB. I understand this calls for a 50 A isolating switch. I don't want a ceiling pull cord as I want to keep the switch outside the bathroom, on the wall as with the present 45 A switch. Can anybody tell me where to get the 50 A plate switch that I require?

Sponsored Links
Crabtree do a good range of 50A plate switches, with & without neons, in white and various metals.

Unless you've got the sort of decor where this would be "cool :cool: ", and not "what the **** :eek: ":

CMDX063.jpg

Serious suggestion - check the small print of your shower spec (what make is it, BTW?) - if it's 10.8kW at 240V, then that is 45A.

Cheers for the quick reply. My decor would be of the :eek: "What the f***" variety. Not bought the shower yet, but probably going to get a mira sport 10.8. I've just checked, and that IS 10.8 kW at 240V, so I'm OK with a 45A switch, but only just?

Also, I'll need to upgrade from 6mm2 cable. Is it OK to run the new cable along the wall, just below the ceiling, then hide it behind coving which I plan to put up? I'd put it in the loft, but living in an intermediate floor flat, that's not really possible... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Paulmcfadyen said:
I've just checked, and that IS 10.8 kW at 240V, so I'm OK with a 45A switch, but only just?

You are okay with 45A. The manufacturers build in a small safety margin so it is fine to use a 45A isolator to switch just under 45A, but it is not okay to use a 45A isolator to switch more than 45A.

Also, I'll need to upgrade from 6mm2 cable. Is it OK to run the new cable along the wall, just below the ceiling, then hide it behind coving which I plan to put up?

It is okay to run the new cable along the top of the wall in a zone that extends 150mm from the top of the wall although I would strongly recommend that you create a channel, fix the cable in the channel and then fill over, before fixing your coving. Because you are putting up coving, you don't need to worry about making a good job of skimming over the cable and channelling the cable will avoid any nasty surprises if someone tries to take the coving down again.

If the coving is polystyrine based, you must provide some kind of barrier that prevents the polystyrine touching the (probably whie or gray) pvc insulation on the cable, even if the coving or cable were to shift.

--
Michael

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back