A ceiling light off a plug socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just noticed that I have a 'chandelier' light running in the centre of my dining room that is connected into the plug ring (a spur of a plug).

Is this safe? I want to put a dimmer switch on where the current switch is... is this possible?

cheers

D

Sponsored Links
like a normal light switch does - no fuses or lights or anything (although there could be a fuse under the floorbaords for it?

it should aslo have a 3a fuse in the plug,
itsnot an ideal way of doing because the question is does the cable run up the wall and along the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
I have a horrible feeling that this light is not actually plugged in, it's just spurred.

With what size cable, I wonder?

It is a spur out of the main ring (for the plugs - i.e. of a junction box) then into a fuse spur and then into the light switch. All on the same twin and earth as the plugs.

The light is not on a plug but dirct into the mains of the main ring downstairs.

Can I put a dimmer on this??

you have a fused spur in there so it should be fine so long as the cable between the ring and the fused spur is at least 2.5mm and the fused spur is fitted with a 3A or 5A fuse

replaceing the lightswitch with a dimmer is no problem in this situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back