A modern alternative to Linseed Oil Glazing putty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Time has come to deal with some single glazed timber windows. Practically 50% of the original linseed putty has fallen out. I have about a day to get things redone.

Considering that linseed oil putty needs a day to a week to become paintable, could I use something like TIMBAGLAZE (a Chemfix product) without issue? I rarely hear this stuff being used.

Regard
U

Sponsored Links
Companies that restore windows using repair care or similar products use modern putty alternative

Hi all,
Time has come to deal with some single glazed timber windows. Practically 50% of the original linseed putty has fallen out. I have about a day to get things redone.

Considering that linseed oil putty needs a day to a week to become paintable, could I use something like TIMBAGLAZE (a Chemfix product) without issue? I rarely hear this stuff being used.

Regard
U

I have used Timbaglaze in the past. It is a MS polymer, similar to the likes of CT1 and Stixall. It is pretty thick though. Ideally you would use a high thrust ratio caulking gun.

This my go to gun for silicone, caulk and thinner MS polymers.

For thick MS polymers I use the following

Some MS polymers are so thick that on cold days you will need two hands to pull the trigger, and I have snapped a few regular guns when working with them.

I apply tape to the glass, apply the MS polymer and use a combination of silicone profiling tools and my finger to smooth them.

The following day, you can prime them with waterbased paints. Never apply oil based paints over them without a waterbased undercoat. For some strange reason, oil based undercoat applied directly will stay tacky for months.

Sponsored Links
That's pretty comprehensive advice, thank you. I have a geared gun that I bought a last year (I am sure it had a Japanese name). So I am ready for it. Right, 3 cartridges ordered, only two delivered.....this bids ill omens...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back