Access to 12V spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only one of four 12 volt spotlights working in bathroom ceiling. No access from above so only access is the small holes where bulbs fit in. Looks like wiring was done and then plasterboard and plastering done afterwards. Is that likely and do I have to take ceiling down or am I missing a trick here?

Sponsored Links
I assume you've tried changing the lamps? If so, a common fault is burnt out lamp holders (the little white thing the lamp plugs into).

You can replace these and I would try that before looking for other faults. Have you got a multi meter?

Yes, have tried replacing lamps and also moved bulb holders around. Is always the same location which lights up, whichever bulb or bulb holder is there. I do have multi meter. Any other ideas welcome.

If you can get one of the lights out you should should find a junction box attached. You could measure the voltage at the JB. If it's 12v the light fitting is the problem. If it's 0 then it could be the transformer or the wiring. Some of the older multi light transformers have fuses on the output but most electronic ones go straight in the bin

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Problem is that I can pull about one foot of cable through the hole in the ceiling, but it then goes taut. So can't get at junction box or transformer - hence question about access. Work was done about two years ago (before I moved in) and looks professional job. I guess what I want to know is whether taking down ceiling is something that people have to do sometimes to get at modern electrics or if that is crazy and there is a better alternative.

Hello.

Personally I would turn the circuit off.
I would then cut the cable to each light in turn that doesn't work, in a place that you could crimp it back together.
Switch the circuit back on, (with the lights switched on)
Then measure the voltage present.
If its 12v, you can put the fault down to the fitting's ( these lights can 'break down' under the heat over the years) , replace and crimp.
If not, then you need to get to the transformer so taking down the necessary sections of ceiling is the only way I see of doing it.

As, due to no access, we dont know if the lights have thier own transformer per unit, or whether they are all connected to the same one etc. it's hard to say how much ceiling has to come down.

All joint boxes and screwed connections used to be deemed ok left in un accessible places, ( under the floorboards etc) but now it's a no no.!!

Hope that this is of some aid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back