Adding an mcb to a cu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently have a wylex split load consumer unit which was installed when I moved in around 1995 all done by certified lecy including certs

I have 3 free slots on the cu, I want to add a new circuit from there and want to know how to do this safely and correctly. Im guessing I can just add an mcb of the desired size/amps but not sure how.

If you could plz get back would appreciate it

thank u[/u]

Sponsored Links
PART P!!!..

the work you are trying to do is notifiable to the LABC under part P of the building regulations..

you will also need to test and inspect the circuit prior to final connection to the breaker which is verry doubtfull you have the required equipment given the nature of your question..

please contact a registered electrician and get him to install it..

it will work out cheaper....

Col, you're quite correct but every other post contains 'Part P'!!
How would building control get on without their very own Part P monkey? ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies

Im happy to get building control in but just wana do it myself.

Any information would be much appreciated

Im happy to get building control in but just wana do it myself.
Have you looked to see how much yours will charge you for this work?

Any information would be much appreciated

I'm afraid you really don't know enough yet to be getting into installing new circuits, and the only safe advice is to get an electrician in.

I am confident in wiring a new circuit as I am in many other things including wiring a light switch. I am however just in need of the information how to do this.

I am confident in wiring a new circuit as I am in many other things including wiring a light switch. I am however just in need of the information how to do this.

If you are having to ask this question without displaying even so much as half an idea then you are probably not competant to do the work.No one on here wants you to do something that may cause problems for you.

Im not a complete **** thats going to do something like this from just reading one post.

I have read other forums and guides on similar things. I have an idea of how u do it but want to know how, I have read this site aswell as many others and am just looking for more in detail advice.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/consumer_unit.htm

there is one for instance

If u cant help me I would appreciate ppl to refrain from posting.

I know u guys wana help and stop anything bad happening but i was blessed with a brain and i have my head screwed on am not going to rush str8 for my cu once i get a reply.

Thank you

What is the new MCB for? Where about in the CU is it and what other circuits are present in the CU?

I am confident in wiring a new circuit as I am in many other things including wiring a light switch.
Really? Then why when you asked about something as trivial as adding a second switch to create 2-way switching did you say "I am a complete begginer at all of this and am a bit confused even though you have shown me a diagram"? Why had you not even heard of a standard domestic cable type? Why later in that thread did you say "I've decided I will rather get an electrician in than fiddle with something like this"?

If you cannot understand something as simple as adding a light switch, and decide that you shouldn't fiddle with it, what makes you think that you know enough about cable derating factors, installation methods, disconnection times, volt drop etc to design and install a whole new circuit?

Im not a complete **** thats going to do something like this from just reading one post.

I have read other forums and guides on similar things. I have an idea of how u do it but want to know how, I have read this site aswell as many others and am just looking for more in detail advice.
So what "detailed advice" do you think you need?

And what will happen if you don't think to ask a question about something vital because you have absolutely no idea that that whole vital area even exists?

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/consumer_unit.htm

there is one for instance
And what does that instance say?

"All cables and connections to the consumer unit must be checked and tested by a qualified electrician. Do not attempt removal or replacement unless you are you are qualified to Part P regulation standards."

Is it that you didn't like that advice, and hoped you'd get something you did like here?

If u cant help me I would appreciate ppl to refrain from posting.
I can't speak for the others (although I can make a pretty good guess), but I for one am not saying what I am in order to put you down, or appear superior or anything, and neither is anybody else.

If you but knew it we are helping you.

I know u guys wana help and stop anything bad happening but i was blessed with a brain and i have my head screwed on am not going to rush str8 for my cu once i get a reply.

Thank you
Then use your brain to do 2 things:

1) Ponder why it is that the unanimous advice you've had is "don't do it"

2) Spend some time learning about the basics of circuit design, cable ratings, volt-drop, EFLI, disconnection times, MCB curves, installation methods, Ib<In<Iz etc, so that you come to genuinely understand all the things you need to know to be able to design and install new circuits.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

And while you're choosing books, and deciding where to buy them, you could do a lot worse than to start reading through this site: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm

Thank u spark 123 for ur reply, The circuit would be for connecting garden lights

I currently have a ringmain for upstairs ring main for downstairs ring main for the kitchen and lighting circuit for upstairs and one for front downstairs and one for back downstairs(those are what I can remember so far will double check tmrw)

Im doing this more as a learning project then out of need, When I first started anything electrical as Im sure ppl are aware I was not very savy, but am now confident and farely competant in most things I have come across.

The cu is in the garage, about 20metres away from where the lights would go

if you could possibly post a model name or number, or a picture of the board so that we might be able to see which model it is we can help you more..

you still havnt said how your planning to comply with the requirments of " Part P "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back