adding remote control switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Use case: single light switch next to the door in the lounge to be converted to be a double (if necessary) , one of which will now switch the various table lamps we have in the room. How to do this in the simplest way, please! Intrigued at Lutron lighting....is this one way to go?

Sponsored Links
one of which will now switch the various table lamps we have in the room. How to do this in the simplest way, please! Intrigued at Lutron lighting....is this one way to go?

Are the table lights, plugged into ordinary 13amp socket?

If so, get a plug-in Smart Plug for each light, compatible with Alexa, and use Alexa to switch them.

Thanks yes they are plugged in. I wish to avoid wifi solutions if possible.

Years ago, we would wire in 5 amp sockets for lighting, this is a lot of work, and with the availability of wireless options, seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

From kinetic switches, to full smart, they all use wireless, I am avoiding calling it Wi-Fi, as it is a wireless networking technology that uses radio waves to provide wireless high-speed Internet access. A common misconception is that the term Wi-Fi is short for "wireless fidelity," however Wi-Fi is a trademarked phrase that refers to IEEE 802.11x standards. And to be frank, I have no idea what those are.
The big problem to my mind is to have something which looks normal. The kinetic switches 1720771144187.pnglook like normal switches, they use the energy of your finger, so do not require batteries, but you are looking at £40 for the pair, switch and relay, so at that cost may as well have internet access as well.
A smart socket
1720771552176.png
is under £10, the question is how far to go? The signal to and from the router needs a lot of power, and if one is using anything battery powered, the battery life would be rather short, so most makes also have a hub, which reduces the power required, so means the items connected can be battery powered, or gain power to work, without causing flicker, or staying on dim.
Each make seems to have their own dedicated hub, so my aim was to select one which would do all, sorry to say it did not work, to date, 3 hubs, Energenie (first one I got) and like a lot of early units, as time as gone on, better units have come on the market, then I got Zigbee, this seems to work with many makes, I started with Lidi stuff. Then I had a problem, outside lights, it has a PIR, so power through the lamp is very low, there was no neutral at the switch, so I needed a switch which was battery powered. The only one I have found is Tapo (TP-Link) that has a pair of batteries in the switch, so will work like any mechanical light switch, power cuts don't cause it to change state, and it has the special functions like dusk and dawn, and timed on or off functions, plus connects to internet, and things like Nest Mini's or Alexa. This was my third hub. Now the same hub controls my TRV head, but when I bought them, it needed separate hubs, but the hubs also double as doorbell sounders.

The problem is the look of the remote switches,
1720773535265.png
it is round, as it can be both turned and pressed, the turning can be used to dim lights, if using Tapo bulbs, I use the version without the backplate as a door push, it records when pushed, so know when some one has been, but not who.

My Energenie stuff has started to have some failures, light switches as sockets, but it is the oldest, must be around 7 years old now. All the apps are a pain, however once set up, they can all be migrated to google home app. I do not walk around with phone glued to ear, so at home the apps on the phone are not convenient, but the google Nest Mini's around the house, means I can use voice commands, so hey google turn of living room lights works well.

Sponsored Links
Thanks yes they are plugged in. I wish to avoid wifi solutions if possible.

Then your options are to add a special circuit, just for those lights, all fed from an extra switch. The sockets normally used are a 2amp 3-pin type, and adding them might prove to be both expensive and quite disruptive, versus the modern, wifi option.

Your plan has a big issue
A common misconception is that the term Wi-Fi is short for "wireless fidelity," however Wi-Fi is a trademarked phrase that refers to IEEE 802.11x standards.
These seem
1720794651215.png
a good idea. I, many years ago, got a set from Lidi, remote control with two on/off remotes, and two dimming remotes, the latter useless today, as LED's do not draw enough current.

My problem was how do you mount the remote control.
1720794973342.png
I tried using an old phone holder, but since then we have had the magnetic push button already shown. There were three Energenie units,
1720795359557.png
one only monitored, one only switched, and one did both, but the one that did both, would not work with a remote control.

And this problem has been repeated many times, the wireless devices (not wifi) have rather lacking instructions, one can buy a bulb, 1720795553054.png read all the instructions, and no where does it say this bulb does not have dusk and dawn options, or it does have the option to gradually switch on and off, I use one outside, and it is good it has some warning by dimming first that it is about to switch off. But one only finds this out, after you have bought it, and installed the app. If I had used a Tapo instead of Wiz bulb, then it would have dusk to dawn, but not the start dim then go bright, when switched on, or start bright then go dim before switching off.

But I note @WabbitPoo does not seem to have returned.

These seem
1720794651215.png
a good idea. I, many years ago, got a set from Lidi, remote control with two on/off remotes, and two dimming remotes, the latter useless today, as LED's do not draw enough current.

I have a couple of sets of those, but now, due to replacement with wifi, only one single switch is still in use. That one, is the one the main router is plugged into, and as a convenient means to reboot the main router, which is at the top of the house. Obviously, I could not use the wifi to turn that on/off - once off, I would not be able to turn it back on :)

I have a couple of sets of those, but now, due to replacement with wifi, only one single switch is still in use. That one, is the one the main router is plugged into, and as a convenient means to reboot the main router, which is at the top of the house. Obviously, I could not use the wifi to turn that on/off - once off, I would not be able to turn it back on :)
Good idea, maybe I will do that. I had to turn off ring final to one side of the house, to reboot my wife's Google Nest Mini as she had piled stuff in front of it, and she could not access the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back