Advice needed for staircase skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have spent the last 2 years replacing all skirting in my house to use ogee 18mm x 169mm. The only place I’ve not touched is on the stairs. My problem is the existing exposed staircase stringer varies in thickness, see pictures. It goes from almost nothing to up to 30mm. We are getting our carpets replaced soon so wanted to make a decision as to whether to live with it or try transitioning the ogee skirting all the way up, like in the last photo. I’m tempted to trim using a multi-tool, where it is at its thickest, then add mould on top of existing stringer. Then where it’s thin trim right back and add a board on the face of the stringer. Any thoughts as to whether this makes sense / a good idea or whether you think about to mess up my staircase. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3479.jpeg
    IMG_3479.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3478.jpeg
    IMG_3478.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3477.jpeg
    IMG_3477.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3517.png
    IMG_3517.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Maybe cut skirting to match the shape the best you can then fill with dryflex resin and paint to match your finished photo

Live with it as it is- path of least resistance. Image number one- you would not be able to bend an ogeee to meet the curve on the string.

Sponsored Links
If you definitely want the ogee to continue up the strings, you could use MDF and scribe the profiles to the correct height. Normally, when routing things like skirtings, you need to find a machinist with a spindle moulder. That said, AFAIK, a spindle moulder cannot deal with curved timber.

An alternative is to make a reverse profile of the moulding use it to drag plaster along the top of the string. It is more difficult than it might sound. You need to ensure that the profile is at 90 degrees at all times. I have only ever used that technique to match skirtings in curved bay windows. I have only ever done that with chamfered skirting though.

In the past, I have additionally used 2 pack filler to match moulding BUT only in straight lines.

lock1.jpg
lock2.jpg
lock3.jpg
lock4.jpg

As per @Wayners post, you can cut smaller sections and fill between then. I have done that loads of times but only on the horizontal, not on rising curves.

Other possible alternatives? Square up the risers (with infills) and use straight ogee profiles, assuming that you can match them. However in image number 3, the string protrudes less at the beginning of the riser than the end of the riser, and the end is lower than the skirting return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back