Advice on fitting garden border edging

jar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our garden border has a slope from the lawn up to the neighbouring fence so I've gone for some raised edging rather than flat paving as the soil is likely to need support from falling onto the lawn.

We've got these :

They're flat on the bottom and fairly heavy so I don't think there will be much movement in them once they're down.

I'm just looking for advice on the quickest/best way to lay them. I've never done any brickwork etc so have done a bit of reading online. I'm not sure if these will need a hardcore sub-base and then cement/concrete or if they would just sit on the sub-base ? Or if we can bypass the sub-base and just use concrete ? Or would they even just sit on compacted soil ? This would obviously be much the easiest solution if feasible.

If sub-base and/or concrete are needed what depth would be needed, bearing in mind these won't really have any footfall apart from occasionally being stood on.

I was thinking of sand in a similar way to paving blocks but there wouldn't really be anything on either side to stop the sand just flowing away.

So I'm a bit confused and hopefully someone with more knowledge can help ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I set mine on sharp sand and cement. About 30mm deep and 400mm wide.

Not my area of knowledge but it's been fine

Hi
Did you have the same edging or something similar ? Do you mean a mix of sand and cement or layers of both ? And was that 30mm on top of soil or sub-base ?
Thanks

Dug out a trench. My soil is clay so firm and dropped a shovel full of cement along. Was about 30mm deep before I pushed edging in.
The cement creates a base and is very stable hold.
Have you looked at YouTube for a guide

Sponsored Links
Yeah I've seen a lot of Youtube guides. Was hoping that I might get away without concrete/cement and just have a flattened hardcore base as these are quite wide/flat/heavy so hoping they won't move once in place as they're not getting walked on.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back