Affordable fall protection options for climbing a steep roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My roof is really steep and needs quite a bit of manual work done on it.

I've got a ladder with roof hooks but I'd prefer to be able to move around the roof more freely but would rather not slip and fall.

I already have a professional climbing harness and rope so I'm wondering if anyone has experience in using fall protection options like roof hooks?

Searching online most of the options are either extremely expensive or only available overseas.

For example this US product:
1727200639710.png

Anyone had experience with similar products in the UK, please?

Sponsored Links
A fall arrest system isn't the answer to work on a tiled roof. And if you think it is, perhaps you should not be attempting this type of work?

Sponsored Links
Nothing like that height, but working on my very slippy summerhouse roof, a couple of years ago, it was impossible without some aids. What I did was fixed screwed hooks along each side wall, lashed a rope through them, then took a second rope from that, up over the wall, and over the apex.

Why on earth would you do diy on a roof??
A fall arrest system isn't the answer to work on a tiled roof. And if you think it is, perhaps you should not be attempting this type of work?
Totally serious question: aside from the obvious risk of falling - why not?

People working on their own roofs is honestly not an uncommon thing to see, around here at least.

Growing up it wasn't unusual for me to help my dad on our slate tiled roof on a tall 2.5-storey house, without any PPE to speak of. In hindsight it's definitely not how I'd do it now, but I feel like with roof ladders (and especially with fall protection) I would be happy to do DIY work to replace tiles etc.

I absolutely agree that you'd need scaffolding for large jobs but I should have clarified I just need to do some ridge tiles and vents, not replace the whole thing.

You do realise that people did fall off and die back in the good old days? Those who fell off just aren't around any more so don't bang on about it. Survival of the luckiest.

Do you think we should also get rid of those stupid car seat belts? The world's safer because people don't do as much stupid stuff.

Scaffolding or don't do it would be the two options anyone with any sense should choose between.

You may be surprised that scaffolding isn't horribly expensive. You're only hiring it, not buying it. Plus it makes you more productive, so as well as not ending up dead or paralysed, you'll also get the job done quicker.

Having said all that, I doubt that TV aerial fitters insist on scaffolding. But they don't carry anything heavy, and it's not actually very skilled or time-consuming to fit one. You have plenty of attention available for keeping track of what your feet are doing.

Scaffolding or don't do it would be the two options anyone with any sense should choose between.

Sometimes, doing a risky job, you just have to weigh-up, and balance the risks. Erecting scaffolding, involves it's own risks - sometimes the risks involved in setting it up, outweigh, the risk of alternative methods.

For me, nowadays this kind of thing I go with the cheaper of a) me doing it with scaffold, or b) paying someone else to do it.
Just not worth the risk of something unexpected happening if you don’t do it all the time.

...and don't expect anyone here to say you'll be alright doing stupid stuff.

He wasn't suggesting doing stupid stuff, he was discussing taking adequate precautions, to avoid the risk of a fall. Mountaineers, safely make use of climbing equipment, all the time, they never erect scaffolding.

The Rod Hull incident, was a ridiculous example - he obviously suffered an irrational moment, and failed to take any account of the weather. What rational person, would get a ladder out, to work at height, in such a storm, for such a slim reason?

I have only ever fallen off a ladder once. It hurt, but could have been much worse. It was only a single story.

2019, working for a couple in Ealing, Mrs customer's son (late 30's) was putting up Christmas lights at his home in Brighton. He now uses a wheelchair.

If you shop around, you can get scaffolding at very reasonable prices. Wayyyy cheaper than spending months in Stoke Mandeville hospital.

Another possible option, depending on height, is to buy or rent a scaffold tower. Probably cheaper, as you're not paying people to put it up and take it down.

They are available up to some crazy heights, but you then need space for the outriggers that are needed for stability. Definitely don't even think about using one without, or putting it at any angle other than straight out. If you haven't got the space to do it then proper scaffold is the only sensible option.

I bought a used tower to replace my soffits and fascias (on a bungalow). Did all the job then sold it for more than I paid. Cost less than nothing.

I'd be reasonably happy to use a roof ladder off a decent sized scaffold tower. Just don't move out sideways, always work where you're hopefully going to fall back onto it. Not sure though, it would depend how high and steep the pitch was. Don't risk death to save a few £100s.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back