After a new combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler has broken down again and ive decided im goiung to get a new one put in instead of wasting money on trying to fix it only for something else to happen to it. Ive currently got a Sime combi boiler and im looking for a good replacement thats decently powered but small in size (and lowish in cost).

What should i be looking at getting, as in brands, out put, etc?

I have read that some fitters wont fit if i supply the boiler, as it can cause problems if anything goes wrong with it, manufacturer/fitter to blame etc. So do i have to get someone round who supplies and fits them or do plumbing supplies places normally have fitters for their boilers?

Is it easier and less costly to just replace the combi with another combi as all the pipe work should be there to start with, a bit like take old boiler out and swap with new one?

Is it a long and expensive job to replace a boiler, ive seen some around £800 but this does not include fitting, is there a rough price guide for fitting a combi? I know every job is different but am i looking at a few days work at £80+ an hour or can they be done in a day? I heard once that it costs around the same for fitting as it does to buy the boiler.

My house is a 3 bed semi with 9 radiators,
Sizes are:
Downstairs
155L x 60H 150L x 35H 60L x 60H 47L x 70H 87L x 60H

Upstairs
70L x 60H 82L x 52H 105L x 60H 100L x 60H

Ive tried to find a calculator online for working out what output combi i need but ive come up a blank.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why go to all this trouble.
Just, pick up the phone, get British Gas out first to quote for the job, then get 3 or 4 quotes off Corgi gas fitters. 'some you might find do not charge vat', which B.Gas do.
You should find you will get a quote for around half the price B.G. charge and it should still be fitted by a competent person of B.G standard, if not better. As the sole trader tends to try to go the extra length compared to your 'cards in' worker.
You will also have the peace of mind that every Corgi registered installer is covered with £2. Million pounds public liability insurance, coupled with a corgi guarantee that due to death or cease of trading, Corgi will put right any remedial works under the guarantee period.
Good Luck

We have had nothing but trouble with the boiler from when we bought the house two years ago. First one water seal started to leak, fixed it, then a load more did a few days later. Fixed them and then the water didnt get hot, had a new circuit board and it fixed that. Then the pilot would go out after having a shower or running a bath, but would be ok if the CH kicked in straight away, not sorted that yet, and now the pilot light wont light. The water was never really hot in the winter either, you could only have a shower as it couldnt get hot enough for a bath. I think its time for it to go and a get a new one that actually works properly. It seems pointless to keep spending money on it, in the end i could probably buy a new boiler with all the call out fees.

British Gas do a fixed rate fix for £156 per problem, and ive got three or four. Definatley wont use BG for repairs with that cost. Locals just seem to want to look at it, do a quick bodge then leave with your bank contents in their back pockets.

Sponsored Links
kev25v6 said:
corgiman said:
what do you have at the moment?

Its called a Sime Friendly

fair enough getting rid then

:)

Worcester Bosch are OK

But in IMHO all new boilers are shyte and are only sold so the makers can take you for a fortune for spares

Put in Sime Friendly on google and it brings up pages of problems with them, all with links to here for help. The company was forced to go bust a while ago but have been reopened by the parent company in italy. Its a shame really because they used to be based about 10 mins from me but are now in bradford.

Bet you're waiting for this Corgi :LOL: Go for Vaillant, Broag or Buderus. Bet that surprised you lot out there :LOL:

gas4you said:
Bet you're waiting for this Corgi :LOL: Go for Vaillant, Broag or Buderus. Bet that surprised you lot out there :LOL:

THUD

which is the sound of CM falling over in surprise at Gas' comments

kev25v6 said:
What are these like http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=product.home&con_id=125928

I cant find any prices on them though. I want one that can have a wireless room thermostat added to it because i dont want to have to redecorate the living room because we dont have a thermostat fitted right now.

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Worcester_Greenstar_28i_Gas_Condensing_Combination_Boiler.html

they sell em for 800 notes

but good luck finding someone willing (some would say stupid) enough to fit a boiler that you provide.

[quote="

but good luck finding someone willing (some would say stupid) enough to fit a boiler that you provide.

:)[/quote]

How do you normally go about getting a new boiler then??? If i wanted that boiler do i have to find a fitter that fits this style of boiler only? Never had to have a boiler fitted before so dont really know how it all works. How long does it take for one to be fitted? Cant be without hot water for too long.

kev25v6 said:
[quote="

How do you normally go about getting a new boiler then??? If i wanted that boiler do i have to find a fitter that fits this style of boiler only? Never had to have a boiler fitted before so dont really know how it all works. How long does it take for one to be fitted? Cant be without hot water for too long.[/quote]

my advice FWTW is get at least three quotes from three reputable companies (get BG in its worth the laff)

and go with the one that you feel comfortable with.

most RGI's wont fit client supplied boilers because they have no power to their elbow if the boiler goes wrong to have a go at the makers. and the makers wont even recognise an end users existance.

Come on corgi, how am I supposed to sell boilers off my internet shop with you saying no one will fit them. I need to feed my family this week :LOL:

gas4you said:
Come on corgi, how am I supposed to sell boilers off my internet shop with you saying no one will fit them. I need to feed my family this week :LOL:

LMAO

i am trying to save you from yourself, any more cash and you could fall of your wallet and do yoursel a mischief

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back