Aftermarket reversing camera for van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any reccomendations for a reversing camera to fit a Mercedes Vito? Seems I've got the option of a number plate mounted one, or a high level brake light one....

Sponsored Links
Any reccomendations for a reversing camera to fit a Mercedes Vito? Seems I've got the option of a number plate mounted one, or a high level brake light one....
Or a stand alone 1 mouinted wherever you want of course.

The question is, where do you think would give you the best overall vision, do you have towbar or step at the back for example. If so, generally a higher mounted camera will give you a better view of the furthest rear position. Low level will give you a good view of obstacles at ground level, especially low walls and bollards. Mid height might give you an overall compromise.

From my experience the higher level is best, if it is just to judge actual distance, or lower level if you often hit obstacles

Are you planning on trying to view the image on the vehicle's own display screen or get a complete system with a separate display? If the former, a vehicle-specific forum might be worth asking on. For me, the frame rate of the camera and the refresh rate of the monitor are critical - maybe more important than resolution, in fact. I had a Peugeot 5008 with a factory reversing camera on it, and the setup was rubbish. You could reverse into something, and about half a second later, watch yourself hitting it! (Not that I ever did, but you get my drift...) I think anything less than about 20 frames per second is going to look quite jerky and laggy.

Also worth getting reviews off the performance in low light. A numberplate mounted one will be closer to the reversing lights.

Lastly, if you can get one with a cover that flips up when you engage reverse, they're a million times better than the ones without covers, where you have to get out and wipe the lens after a run in the rain, before you can see much.

Thanks both. The van pre dates a display screen if it's own so I need a full aftermarket set up.

Great tip re the cover!

Sponsored Links
We had a factory fitted reversing camera in the car and it was brilliant. A great field of view side to side.We bought an after-market one for the Transit which comes with it's own screen. The live feed is wired into the reversing light switched-feed, which in turn activates the camera. The display image is picked up by 'wire-less' connection and so no lengthy wire to thread through. The result though is not that great. It's wide-angle range is just not wide enough to capture the bumper corners and the tow-hitch at the same time.
It's worth doing a good bit of research.
This is the one we bought:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DC46C5H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
We had a factory fitted reversing camera in the car and it was brilliant. A great field of view side to side.We bought an after-market one for the Transit which comes with it's own screen. The live feed is wired into the reversing light switched-feed, which in turn activates the camera. The display image is picked up by 'wire-less' connection and so no lengthy wire to thread through. The result though is not that great. It's wide-angle range is just not wide enough to capture the bumper corners and the tow-hitch at the same time.
It's worth doing a good bit of research.
This is the one we bought:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DC46C5H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks... That's the kind of thing I was looking at... Maybe I should spend a bit more, though that wouldn't necessarily guarantee a better product...

On a van, one mounted high, but looking down at an angle, give a better impression of distance, than one mounted low, looking straight back.

Check out those dual cameras for motorhomes. I had one that gave a great view both of what’s behind and when reversing. Switching automatically as reverse selected.

Sponsored Links
Back