AHH - Is this wall load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've just started work restructuring a few of the internal downstairs rooms in my house. I had planned to remove two small walls.

The two walls are breeze block and I was fairly certain not load bearing. The structure of my house is based on Attic Trusses so in my head all the load bearing is done by the external walls.

Anyway I've just stopped the demolition as now I'm thinking the walls are load bearing. On top of each wall is a timber baton. The part that spans a door has some metal/steel going over it. See pictures.

What do you think?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240629_121752.jpg
    20240629_121752.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240629_121805.jpg
    20240629_121805.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240629_121825.jpg
    20240629_121825.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Freddie - thanks for the quick reply - it's appreciated.

I've taken the carpet up from above and cut a hole in the wood to take a look. No floor boards here.

I'm starting to think it's not load bearing again. As mentioned this house is built with engineered attic Trusses. My understanding is that these A type frames bear all the weight (for upstairs) along with the external walls.

In my upstairs picture you can see these trusses - they are big (9inch)

Looking down below again it does look like maybe part of the wall is bearing one of these trusses - see the circled bit of wood. But to me that doesn't add up as these trusses span the whole width (external wall to external wall). Maybe that bit of wood is used to steady/ fix the internal wall?

I'm thinking I'll drop a smaller bit of wood in next to it (under the truss). Knock out the other piece and see if it drops?

I'm no expert though - just a DIYer. So any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Pics would help...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240629_150324_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240629_150324_Photos.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240629_150638_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240629_150638_Gallery.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
Attic trusses can still be supported on internal walls, they aren’t always designed to clear span between the external walls

Attic trusses can still be supported on internal walls, they aren’t always designed to clear span between the external walls
Ah didn't know that. I know these were ready made / pre engineered and lifted into place when the house was built. In the loft you can see one ever 60cm

I've taken the walls down now... carefully... looking for any signs of movement / load bearing.

There wasn't any.

The walls are built on under floor heating and sat on a screed with no lower fixing / glue. They were sat on bits of black sheeting. So my guess is they are built this way to provide extra security.

Thanks for the help / information

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back