Air Bricks (Again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if someone could advise me on the following - Recently moved into our new house and found that it was suffering from significant condensation issues. First thing that I checked was the air bricks. The air bricks that I have are the pretty standard perforated jobs, and when I checked them from the outside it appears that the perforations have been plugged with what looks to be purpose made orangey brown, barbed plastic plugs. behind these plugs there appears to be what I can only describe as a 'carpet like material' - which I assume is some sort of membrane. Can anyone advise me what this might be? I believe it is probably preventing adequate ventilation, but I don't want to remove it if it is there for a good reason - because once I remove it I probably won't be able to put it back without removing the outside grate.

Cheers in advance,

Russ

Sponsored Links
This is just a guess, but maybe the "carpet like material" you describe might just be, "carpet",,,,, that someone has put there on purpose, to prevent a flow of air/draught . If you can get access to it, check it out.

Roughcaster.

Roughcaster,

Thanks for your response. Pretty certain it isn't carpet - it reminds me of a product that is used for tanked basement waterproofing - usually a bentonite mat, within which the clay particles expand to prevent a waterproof (although I use this term loosely) barrier. I have never in my experience seen this used to cover an air brick - and I've never seen the plugs that I've described either. Just wondering if anyone had and could advise before I rip them out!

Thanks anyway!

Russ

Sponsored Links
Over the past years, ideas regarding what is right have moved on considerably. Whereas years ago builders had no materials that were waterproof and homes were built with things like tiles, slates and bricks that merely shed water, nowadays there are many things available that are waterproof.
Likewise ideas regarding ventilation have changed and the target these days is to built with waterproof air proof boxes, that reduce the cost of heating and merely present a problem of controlled ventilation.
Your home was built at a time when thoughts of people keeping warm at reasonable cost were rare.
A hole in the wall as ventilation was needed in the days when every room had an open fire, now when open fires are rare and central heating is all pervasive they are no longer practical.
The effect on a home of a strong wind varies according its exposure and to the proximity of the sea and its height above sea level.
In the middle of London where there are many buildings and people are crammed in at 20,000 to the square mile, in some places it may work. In the country it does not.
You previous owner has merely blocked the hole to keep his expensive heat indoors instead of in the garden. Yes it is preventing adequate ventilation as in have you an open fire and no if you have not.
Opening a window from time to time, controlled ventilation is whats required.

The carpet like stuff you can see is called voltex look grayish/white and if it get wet form a slime on it it is used to seal where water can get in
regards your air brick i think you could have weep vent n the back and tubes through to get the air in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back