Air bubbles when filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
So I have a wall that is plastered which meets a ceiling that is plasterboard. I need to take the ceiling board down in the future to run some pipes so don't want to joint tape and fill just yet but also don't want the horrible plaster colour for a couple of months so would like to paint it with my dulux trade white emulsion like the rest of the room in the meantime.

However I have filled over this paint before and get the horrible air bubbles which seem to take many passes after to get rid of. Is there anything I can do to stop this as I won't bother painting it if not.

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
As above, how are you applying the paint?

The first coat should be thinned emulsion (as per the maker's recommendation and not someone on YouTube).

You talk about filling over the paint- are you talking about using a filler such as Easifil over the ceiling/wall joint.

Sorry, I am a decorator, but I can't offer advice until you provide more specific info.

Best of luck.

Sorry guys... I tend to waffle and so kept it smaller than usual.

So I have walls that are already painted and when I have built a new wall going against it, I I've taped and filled the join. The wall that was already painted previously immediately starts showing bubbles in the filler as I was applying it. These then burst as it dried which left me with loads of holes which I then had to go over numerous times to get rid of eventually. The UNpainted wall there was none.

I googled what causes the bubbles and some suggested moisture in the wall (but don't believe it to be that) and others said if you was filling a wall that is painted the water in the mid has nowhere to go and so pushes out and forms bubbles.

My next project requires me to leave the ceiling I filled as I need to take the panel back down to fit water pipes. However it is fire board and wanted to paint over the pink in the board so it didn't stand out so much. However I wanted to try and avoid the bubbles that I know I'll get when I do come to tape and fill it.

I have just however tried to fill a patch of a wall that was previously plastered (not very well and by me) and I was getting bubbles from that too.

The painting ain't the problem, it's little bubbles in the filler as I'm applying it that's paining me.

(Ive probably gone the wrong way and this is too long now. ‍♂️ )

Sponsored Links
Ps. The emoji I entered was not the one shown on my last message. Lol.

Also I am currently using Screwfixes own brand of No Nonsense dry jointing and filling powder.

How are you mixing filler?
It depends, if it's a small amount in a small round paint kettle starting with a rigid stick and finishing with a food spatula to get the powder round the edges and to empty it out into my mud pan. If it's a lot I use a paint stirrer on my drill and then use the spatula. (But from memory it's only happened with the former method)

A drill stirrer will add lots of air bubbles , just like mixing a Yorkshire batter .

I agree but th
A drill stirrer will add lots of air bubbles , just like mixing a Yorkshire batter .
I agree but the last few batches have been small and stirred by hand. No matter how many times I spread over it or smooth it out or add more etc they come back.

Fill over filler as it is settling. fill with fresh mix over the damp set filler and repeat will avoid bubbles.
I avoid filling over dry filler because of air bubbles (pin holeing)
Other problem is with the fillers themselves. Some pinhole when applied over dry surfaces. I never seem to get that with toupret powder filler so try that.

IMG_6045.jpeg

What filler you using?
If it's dry a coat of gardz will sort but I never do with toupret powder. The gardz will stop the popping.
Some ready mixed fillers and wall smoothers will pin hole without sealing first but toupret powder don't pop

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back