Alpha CB28 no CH, but hot water mostly works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an Alpha CB28 boiler and it has been playing up over recent weeks.

The first problem that it would cut out giving a red flashing light error. I'd reset it, and it would work fine for a while, providing hot water. I've not really worked out when or what causes it to trip over, as the boiler is in the loft, so I'm not going to sit up there all day waiting for it to fail. But it does occur a few times a day.

Now that the weather is turned I've now noticed the central heating isn't coming on. To remove any doubts about the thermostat I've bypassed that, so linking pins 1 & 2 on the input. So the heating should come on, but it doesn't. The orange LED blinks every 5 seconds as it should when happily resting, but the boiler isn't firing up to start the heating. It fires up for hot water fine when a tap is turned on though.

Over the past few years I've replaced the control board (due to some dry joints and worn out relays), the DHW switch, and the diaphragm.

Any clues to what I can check to narrow down the fault would be most helpful.

Sponsored Links
Looks like nobody has any clues.
I'm beginning to wonder whether it is the diverter that's stuck in the hot-water position? I've not read anyone experience this issue with this boiler online, but seen it mentioned with other boilers.

Not that no body has a clue, it is just that the pros are busy with their daily task

Is the boiler firing when you call for heating?
Does the boiler recognise call for heating?
Have you looked at page 33 to see if you can add something to your post?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back