Alpha Intec 28XE receiver not working - can i prove heating works without using this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alpha Intec 28XE receiver not working - can i prove heating works without using this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Has it got a built in RF receiver for the thermostat on the front panel?
Can you post a pic?
The manual seems to suggest it is relatively easy to get to the wiring behind the panel, so it may be possible to bypass the receiver.

Has it got a built in RF receiver for the thermostat on the front panel?
Can you post a pic?
The manual seems to suggest it is relatively easy to get to the wiring behind the panel, so it may be possible to bypass the receiver.
Here we go, thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_4690.JPG
    IMG_4690.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 19
Sponsored Links
Here we go, thanks so much!
Thanks.
Oh dear, a Salus receiver. I'm afraid that explains a lot!
For a first attempt, try sliding the switch on the front of the receiver towards the dark circle.
If that doesn't achieve anything, next try connecting together the wires in terminals 3 and 4 of the receiver...
Screenshot_20241001-201750_Chrome.jpg

Isolate the power first (these wires are carrying mains voltages) and connect them together safely in a separate terminal block.
If that works, you can then use the controls on the boiler to look after the C/H until you install a new stat.

A little bit more info... the end goal is to establish that the heating aspect still works which im 99% sure it does and then to replace the receiver and commander unit with something that works! Currently have the horrible Salus RT501RF (TX) and would like to replace with something like a Hive or open to recommendations :) Thanks

Thanks.
For a first attempt, try sliding the switch on the front of the receiver towards the dark circle.
If that doesn't achieve anything, next try connecting together the wires in terminals 3 and 4 of the receiver...
View attachment 357471
Isolate the power first (these wires are carrying mains voltages) and connect them together safely in a separate terminal block.
If that works, you can then use the controls on the boiler to look after the C/H until you install a new stat.
I have tried the switch in both positions but makes no difference and tbh im not sure which position it was always in! Randomly the heating did come on last week and we put it back into summer mode as it was just blasting on but it wont switch back on on command.

Thanks.
View attachment 357471
'connecting together the wires in terminals 3 and 4 of the receiver.' is this essential to testing the receiver or can we just get rid? The only point is that i want to know that 100% the boiler has no issues - the water heating is totally fine.

'connecting together the wires in terminals 3 and 4 of the receiver.' is this essential to testing the receiver or can we just get rid? The only point is that i want to know that 100% the boiler has no issues - the water heating is totally fine.
This completely bypasses the receiver, without delving onto the boiler PCB to find a connection; these two wires will need connecting anyway, to allow a new stat to be installed.
I would cut off the crimped on connectors, and join the two wires together in a single terminal block (again isolating power safely first!).

This completely bypasses the receiver, without delving onto the boiler PCB to find a connection; these two wires will need connecting anyway, to allow a new stat to be installed.
I would cut off the crimped on connectors, and join the two wires together in a single terminal block (again isolating power safely first!).
Or could i be a total cheapskate and look for a used Salus receiver if this is what has failed?

All done and heating works fine :) I guess i can just now remove the live/earth from the Salus BC600RX and leave them? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4695.JPG
    IMG_4695.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 10
I guess i can just now remove the live/earth from the Salus BC600RX and leave them? Thanks
It's a Live and Neutral to the Salus :)
Yes, you could just remove them, they are safe enough to be left there, if the crimp covers are intact.
The Salus could remain in place as a convenient blanking plate.

If you want to connect a new on/off thermostat, the power can come from the L, N & E terminals and the switch wires would connect to terminals 1 & 2 (after removing the link)...

Screenshot_20241002-172605_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Alpha do have their own controls (Climatic) that link to the bus connector - these allow the boiler to modulate better, and potentially improve the boilers efficiency, but I'm afraid I have no experience of these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back