Angle Grinder arbor size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do angle grinders in the UK have different arbor sizes? I assumed it would be standard, but some grinder discs are sold as 22mm bore, others 22.2mm.

I recently purchased a 230mm diamond cutting disc, I have tried it on two different 230mm grinders (Titan and Hikoki) and it will not fit over the flange nut on either, it is always slightly at an angle and subsequently wobbles when it spins.

Do I have a defective disc that doesn't quite meet tolerance, or have I purchased one with the wrong bore size?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Put the angle grinder down!

Never use a grinder/blade that wobbles.

Andy
Obviously I'm not using it when it wobbles! I stopped immediately!

I'm trying to find out if I've bought the wrong disc or if the disc bore is slightly out of tolerance and too small

Have you got the outer "nut " as you call it the right way up. You should have the flat face against the disc not the face with a shoulder

Sponsored Links
Have you got the outer "nut " as you call it the right way up. You should have the flat face against the disc not the face with a shoulder
Yes I have the nut the right way round, flat face against the disc

Last edited:
It isn't the outer nut that's the issue, its the inner one, which has an arbor the disc bore is supposed to fit over

Last edited:
If the new cutting disc isn't snug onto it's arbor then you have a very dangerous situation......I think we need some pics of the problem now!
John :)

Its not an easy problem to take a photo of - I've had to take the washer off the grinder to try and demonstrate - the fit between the arbor on the inner nut (washer?) and the bore on the disc itself is so snug it won't fully go over it and sit flat

PXL_20240905_080947839.jpg

The cutting disc I bought was sold as having a 22mm bore, have I bought the wrong disc and I just need to go buy one with a 22.2mm bore? Seems like such a small and odd difference in bore size!

Personally I'd say that when 22mm bore is mentioned it's actually 22.2 - but who's to know the difference?
It's a bit vague from your pic, but the driving dog on the grinder needs a spigot to hold the disc on square and tight - or this may be achieved by the secondary nut.
On the set up I see here, what happens if that nut is backed off, reversed and relocated?
My own grinders will handle anything from 1mm slitting discs to 6mm grinding discs so there should be a way!

For context, this is a new corded 230mm grinder and disc I've just bought, as my 20V Parkside cordless 115mm grinder wasn't quite up to cutting some concrete paving slabs.
I've just tried all the discs I have for my 115mm grinder (which have the same 22mm bore) and they all fit over the arbor on the 230mm grinder perfectly, so it would seem the issue is the bore on the 230mm disc I bought is slightly under tolerance and won't fit snugly.

For sure, the bore should be 22.2mm......I can't see what's going on here!
Where did the disc come from?

As above. The arbor is 22mm, the disc hole should be 22.2mm (or 22.23mm)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back