Another oven/hob wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1st & foremost, great forum site, this.

Cut to the quick.....I want to install a 4.3kW oven and an Electrolux 4 ring ceramic (can't remember rating). I asked the elctrician to run a cable from the CU, hooked up to a main switch that runs into a 45A CCU, then to a terminal box & finally the hob & oven.

My question, is the main switch above the CCU redundant & 2ndly, he has run a 2.5mm cable from the CU. I specified at least 4 or 6 to cater for full load or future oven changes. Would the 2.5mm cable be sufficient? I just don't want problems later on.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
After going through a lorra lorra posts, I've decide to follow some sound advice here & will put in bigger cables from the CU to the CCU & on.

Cheers, chaps.

Sponsored Links
even though this is outside of the UK, the cooker needs to be on at least 6mm² and preferably 10mm²..

not sure what you define as "main switch" though..

there should be a cooker switch to isolate the cooker, a cooker outlet plate is also a good idea but not mandatory..

No. 2.5 is rated to 27A.

The load you describe (if the hob is 6kW) is nigh on 45A, excluding any allowance for the socket outlet on the CCU.

That's 10mm² in my book. 6mm² is rated maximum to 46A, but that's best-case scenario with regard to routing. Add in the s/o and you're deffo looking at 10 milli.

ColJack & securespark, M'sia follows BS and amny standards are the same, although probably not as updated. Yes, I thought the 2.5mm cables wouldn't cut it despite what the electricians say.

I guess I used the wrong word for main switch. We've just done it like this. 6mm from the CU that goes to a fused main switch whch in turn goes to a CCU & then to a termination box. Does that sound right?

So its like this
media.php

going into
media.php

and then to
media.php

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back