Another picture of an intake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spotted on my recent travels...

intake.JPG

Seen anything like this before?

Sponsored Links
Pretty shoddy work on those tails going into the henley block...

What's the single cable running from the head into the meter?

Thats a meter link, concentric core with a block end.

TN-s supply via split concentric to service head.

single pole isolator by the looks of it though!!

nd what make board, is it an MEM or BILL?? Looks like a 3ph?

Quote SecularSpark "Seen anything like this before ?"

Nah, my coathangers are fitted to the wall.

Were they used as 'door knobs' on the enclosure door ?

P

Sponsored Links
brings up an intereseting question

does part P mean the recs will have to comply with the iee regs?

they recs seem to use single insulated stuff (remember in concentric the neutral is only single insulated) all the time

PLUG - But then that single insulated cable is covered by a sheath, no?

Yes, the huge black box has a 100A Proteus isolator (looks like MCB!)

The boards were MEM, and they did look like 3P, too. But I didn't get a chance to peek inside.

Thought the REC could have sleeved the earth......

PIP- Secular Spark?? I've heard it all now. Denmans usually put Insecure Electrical on my invoices...Guffaw, guffaw!

concentric (not split con) has a single core down the middle and then a CNE core of equal size round that and then surrounding that the outer sheath

so if you use it for live and neutral you end up with the neutral only single insulated

someone over on screwfix got pulled by the niceic over this one after using concentric for live and neutral with a seperate earth for a submain

securespark,

Q1. why are 5no cables leaving the Henley box? What is the fifth one(on the left i presume) doing?
Q2. Why do you suspect that the isolator is singe pole?
Q3. Why is the earth from the head unsheathed?

--tom said:
Q1. why are 5no cables leaving the Henley box? What is the fifth one(on the left i presume) doing?
I think that is just the angle of the picture. I think cable six is directly behind and obscured by cable five (counting right to left).

More to the point, why does it appear to be coming from the lock-nut or a gland eye on the supply cable rather then out of the RHS of the head block?

--
Michael

securespark said:
...... PIP- Secular Spark?? I've heard it all now. Denmans usually put Insecure Electrical on my invoices...Guffaw, guffaw!...

You do not believe that ... do you ?

Secular ..... Worldly rather than spiritual .... Apt, very apt !!

Crikey you travel in some strange places !! Sold them a gold lame replacement with hangers fitted ? ... self certified or commited ?

P

More to the point, why does it appear to be coming from the lock-nut or a gland eye on the supply cable rather then out of the RHS of the head block?

Because its a slit concentric forming a TN-s system. Would usually be taken into a henly or similar service head with the live, neutral and earth in one enclsure. Some services do still have a seperate fuse, neutral and earth though.

--tom said:
securespark,

There are indeed 6, 3 pairs.

--tom said:
Q2. Why do you suspect that the isolator is singe pole??

Because of the size of the device, in particular the width. It is only one module wide.

--tom said:

Because the REC are a bunch of fazy luckers?

Don't suppose one of the skilled artisans pondering this would care to post a picture or a link to how it *should* be done?

This is fascinating - but with nothing to compare with, I feel a bit lost.

I'd ideally like to see a blow-by-blow of all the things wrong with this picture........please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back