Any tips on these lights into block wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have two planter walls that's going to be filled inside them with stone and soil and decorative stones and plants. I'm wanting a few recessed led lights bedded into a 4inch block wall.

What I'm wanting to know, once these lights are installed and because they are in a planter wall, is there anything additional I need to buy to stop anything seeping out around the lights.

The walls are tanked with a rubber tanking to stop any moisture seeping through the walls but if I'm putting holes through it, surely moisture, rain and soil will seep out around the lights if I don't do anything in behind the wall behind the lights before I fill the center..
Screenshot_20240704-210409~2.png
IMG_20240704_210312961.jpg

Sponsored Links
Save yourself a load of grief, and do not fit these lights.

Presumably you will be using steel wire armoured cable in the planter?

The brick lights that I have fitted in the past didn't have enough space to accept one, let alone two, SWA cables. Which meant I had to use a short length of flex to a galv besa junction box to the SWA cables. Not a major problem for me, as this was on a house wall - but a PITA for you.

I don't think you're going to want galv conduit boxes buried in your planter, unless you can put them near the surface where they van be accessed fairly easily.

All in all it's a complete faff - and as you have indicated, sealing round the holes is going to be critical.

If you must have that style of light and want to do this properly, then you will need another wall.
The outer wall is the one with the lights in it. You will need drainage holes at the bottom of this wall.
Then there is a gap, such as 50mm which is the space for the cables.
Then the inner wall which is the one which retains the soil / plants / other, and that is where the waterproofing goes.
The top must be covered with coping stones or similar to prevent items falling into the cavity between the walls.

but if I'm putting holes through it, surely moisture, rain and soil will seep out around the lights
If you have a single wall, then yes, it will.
The lights will fill with water, soil and dirt will be pushed through and around the lights, and make a mess on the front of the wall. The lights will rust away internally along with the cable and connectors to ensure that any replacement is impossible.

Sponsored Links
Get yourself some spike lights and save yourself from this horror.

Even an extra-low voltage (eg 12v) arrangement may be worth looking into, from the point of having electrical connections that are prone to moisture.

If you must have that style of light and want to do this properly, then you will need another wall.
The outer wall is the one with the lights in it. You will need drainage holes at the bottom of this wall.
Then there is a gap, such as 50mm which is the space for the cables.
Then the inner wall which is the one which retains the soil / plants / other, and that is where the waterproofing goes.
The top must be covered with coping stones or similar to prevent items falling into the cavity between the walls.

If you have a single wall, then yes, it will.
The lights will fill with water, soil and dirt will be pushed through and around the lights, and make a mess on the front of the wall. The lights will rust away internally along with the cable and connectors to ensure that any replacement is impossible.
IMG_20240320_171946981.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back