Anyone good at electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have broken one of my double plug sockets (completely smashed it off the wall (well if your going to do something stupid might as well make a good job of it lol)). Can any kind electrician out there tell me is it just a matter of buying a new one, see where the wires go, and put them in the same place on the new one (turning off the electricity supply first of course). I am lost without it. I tend to try and do things myself rather than call in the professionals (job satisfaction and all that) but me being a mere woman I don't have the know how. So can anyone help me please. Thank you :LOL:

Val

Sponsored Links
You should have either a pair of red and black (ring main), or 1 of each (spur). The reds go to the connection marked "L" and the blacks to "N".
If your socket is flush with the wall there will be a metal box behind it, this should have a piece of cable with a green/yellow sleeve over it. This should be connected to your other earth cable(s) which should also be wearing snazzy green/yellow sleeves. If it is surface (white plastic box) mounted there will be no earth connection to it so connect all three (or two) to the connection with a squiggly "upside down yacht"(earth symbol).
Make sure all terminals are securely tightened and gently ease back into position as if 1 of the cable ends snap you could be in the sh... myre.
Mains as you well know will be turned off of course.
Best of luck.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back