Appliance isolation points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anything in the wiring regs that stat appliances must have electrical isolation within a set distance or line of site etc?

I'm thinking domestically, for the outdoor unit of a heatpump, if it's written anywhere that there is a need for rotary isolator outside.

Where, I'd rather have it inside the house on other side of wall from heatpump. No weather exposure, neater looking, lockoff with padlock is just as effective although need to go in and out door for dead testing etc.

Sponsored Links
BS7671:2008 said:
552.1.2 Every electric motor having a rating exceeding 0.37 kW shall be provided with control equipment incorporating means of protection against overload of the motor. This requirement does not apply to a motor incorporated in an item of current-using equipment complying as a whole with an appropriate British Standard.

Don't know of any changes. So it would seem the answer is no, there are no rules to say must have local isolation.

Don't know of any changes. So it would seem the answer is no, there are no rules to say must have local isolation.
You are correct... however I would not want to be unable to isolate/turn off whilst at the equipment.
Not all isolators are rotary devices. One company in particular make an attractive switch in dark grey with a lever on one side, rather like the old CI units. Knowing who I was working for at the time they might be ABB.

Sponsored Links
Is there anything in the wiring regs that stat appliances must have electrical isolation within a set distance or line of site etc?

Nope, no requirement that an isolator be next to a machine or motor, In some case, an isolator just would not be possible or practical adjacent to the machine. So long as there is an adequate method of isolating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back