Are hot water valve the same as cold one? (Kitchen tap)

Sponsored Links
The two will work in opposite directions - one clockwise, t'other anti-clockwise.

This might also extend to the mounting threads (LH and RH)

I expect the materials used would be identical, but the two would be mirror images of each other.

thanks,
so is there any way I can figure out which one drips?

As it's a kitchen sink tap you'll have mains cold feed and probably gravity hot feed.

If the taps do not have local isolation valves or stopcocks, locate the main cold water stopcock.
Turn this off.
Then open the cold water tap on the sink to release any residual pressure.
Turn tap off
Wait.
If the tap still drips then it is the Hot water valve. If not then the cold
Turn main stop cock on again

This is not bullet proof, but usually works.

Sponsored Links
Great Idea, thanks DJM.

Now I have some trouble to take the spout off, since friends say drips could also be solved by re-siting?

any idea?

Not sure I understand. Is the tap working properly when on - ie normal pressure etc? If so I can't see how the spout will affect it. There is usually a sieve in the spout to capture large chuncks or rubbish, but that does not affect the on/off efficiecy of the valves. Nad as teh valves are items 15 and 16 in the pic and before teh spout I can't see the connection.

do you mean drips only caused by valves but not any washer or something I don't know between spout and part 3.
Am I right about this?

Thanks again DJM

do you mean drips only caused by valves but not any washer or something I don't know between spout and part 3.
Am I right about this?

It's hard to guess what you're trying to ask.
If it's dripping, the valve(s) is(are) letting water through.
Nothing to do with the spout,

Thanks ChrisR, you have make it perfectly clear, I get it.

:p

Items 5 and 16 have a rubber tap washer on them. One of these is not seating fully thus letting water to pass forming a drip.
Remove and take one to your local plumbers merchant and buy two new to replace. ;)

:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back