Are kitchen cabinets and doors interchangable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the hinge positions the same on all kitchen doors? I somehow doubt it but I'd quite like to get decent doors from say Wren but get cheaper cabinets from wickes, for example. Is this feasible?

Sponsored Links
I doubt Wren would just sell you doors, quality difference is negliable.
Hinge position is unimportant .

Usually yes, but they vary a bit. I have the same range from the same supplier, but bought a couple of years apart, and there are slight differences. You ought to measure yours, accurately, to check. It can be easier and quite economical to buy the whole set, if your cabinets are good quality and good condition. This will refresh and renovate your kitchen.

Note that cheap self-assembly cabinets are poor quality, even if you glue and screw them to improve rigidity. Moving parts such as drawers may be awful.

Some online suppliers sell doors to order, and you can often specify hinge positions. You will find them on ebay. I have had cabinets and components made to order, but my supplier has closed down.

Cheap ones are usually foil-wrapped MDF, which is not durable, or cut and edged from laminated boards, which is, but are flat slab doors.

If you have a van and are handy, you can sometimes dismantle and collect a really good kitchen, in used condition, from someone refitting, to save them the trouble of taking it to the tip. Get one bigger than you need as it will not be the exact size and shape of yours and some items will be damaged. They may throw in accessories, sink and even appliances. I did this when I wanted a couple of extra wall cabinets and the range was discontinued, I ended up with a complete solid wood kitchen for a few hundred, and they gave me the dishwasher. I now have a very well equipped garage. Be very fussy about quality and condition.

P.S.
I have a dowelling jig, which makes it quick and easy to improve cabinets, making them stronger and more rigid, if they are self assembly or have loose joints. Preferably do it before you fit them.

Sponsored Links
I sold my whole kitchen with solid wood doors including sink, taps, oven, hob, cooker hood and integrated fridge/freezer for £250 just recently. I think the bloke got a bargain and it saved me taking it to the dump and going into landfill.

IMG_1279.jpeg
IMG_1277.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back