Are Magneglaze any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we are thinking about having seconday glazing fitted to our wood windows and thought I would ask if any one had use these people before, and if they were any good? :?:

I also need to replace part of the wood sill on one of my bay windows,silly question but how hard is it? :eek:

Many Thanks matt :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking of using Magneglaze secondary glazing too - did you use them Matt? - or has anyone else used them?

I'd probably get them to install, rather than DIY, so I'm interested in whether they do a good job, as well as how effectively the system performs and whether it lasts well.

I can't find online reviews for them anywhere.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you... thinking of getting Magneglaze to install secondary glazing for two sash windows.

I notice you posted in Nov 09... did you use Magneglaze, or find any references?

Many thanks.

Hi Tim - I didn't find any references for Magneglaze. I contacted them and had a helpful reply, but I am too far north for them to do installation. I have no actual evidence, but it sounded they'd be a good bet for installation. Anyway, I decided then to look into DIY.

In fact it worked far cheaper to DIY, and I found it quicker to do than I had feared (not being a regular DIYer). I searched round and found my cheapest was to get a 3m x 2m cast acrylic 3mm sheet from One Stop Plastics Shop - they cut this for you, and by good luck the 3x2 could be cut into the 5 panes that I needed with almost zero waste! Also bought 'superglaze' fitting materials from them for 2 of the panes that I am fitting externally.

For the other 3 panes, which are fitted internally, cheapest (even with delivery) was 25m rolls of magnetic and metal tapes from www.magnetick.co.uk. I've got quite a bit left over, but have some other windows to do later.

Sponsored Links
I couldn't find any reference or review to Magneglaze customers, so I bit the bullet and had my four living room sash windows done at a cost of around £320.

Installing them was a doddle although you do need two people. Just take off the perspex film and magnet tape backer and stick it onto the window frame. The difference is remarkable; no condensation, no drafts and you can hardly see them so original sash look as good as ever.

I did actually look into buying sheet perspex and magnet tape do do DIY prior to my first Magneglaze order and found it to be as expensive or more expensive. As I now want to do two more roomns with sash windows in them I will research the DIY option again, if it is the same I will go back to Magneglaze with my order.

Considering the secondary glazing options, price, style etc I think Magneglaze or indeed a DIY alternative is a fantastic way to double glaze your house, economically without compromising on original features.

DavedF, where did you get your perspex from, I couldn't find any reasonably priced anywhere?

Family guy - see my previous post.

They call the glazing material 'clear cast acrylic' - I've no idea if that is the same as perspex. I'm really pleased with it - so clear that you wouldn't know it's there. I got the 3mm thickness from

http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.c...5_1010.html?osCsid=e5t7emnvqah27polrtregfgst5

Please note they only seem to sell it in sheets of 3mx2m. They will cut that into smaller pieces for you free. However, obviously whether that will be good value depends on whether you need that much, and whether the pieces you need can be cut out of 3mx2m without much waste. I was very lucky, as the 5 pieces I needed fitted 3mx2m almost exactly!

There are other suppliers, but the above was easily the cheapest if you could fit what you need neatly into 3x2! Otherwise, they may not be.

Also, glad to hear that Magneglaze worked well.

DavedF

You have convinced me : )

My order came in a 310 quid when Magneglaze were 560 quid - that was too much of a difference.

Many thanks for the tip & I bet your are feeling the benefit in this cold spell.

If you are interested in a DIY solution you can use either magnetic tape or glazing strips. The magnetic tape is really easy and quick to fit so is ideal if you have alot of windows. You do however have to be careful what sort of surface you are sticking onto. The ahesive works much better on a gloss surface.
The glazing strips can be screwed into your window frame and are graet for larger windows.

If you require opening secondary glazing there are some very high quality sliding units available .

If you want to see some of the solutions they are on www.diysecondaryglazingkit.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back