Are These Joists Too Damaged? Should I Replace or Treat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_5340.jpeg

Hi all,

I’ve attached some photos of the joists in my home. There appears to be significant discoloration, and I’m concerned about potential moisture damage or rot. Some of the main issues are:

• Dark patches and peeling of the wood.
• Some areas seem brittle or weakened.
• No sagging as of yet, but the wood feels soft in some spots.

I’m not sure if this level of damage means they need to be fully replaced, or if I can treat and reinforce them. Has anyone dealt with similar issues? What are my options here?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
they look fine to me - is there soft bits you can just push a screwdriver through

Are those white areas powdery or damp etc?

Sponsored Links
View attachment 354598
Hi all,

I’ve attached some photos of the joists in my home. There appears to be significant discoloration, and I’m concerned about potential moisture damage or rot. Some of the main issues are:

• Dark patches and peeling of the wood.
• Some areas seem brittle or weakened.
• No sagging as of yet, but the wood feels soft in some spots.

I’m not sure if this level of damage means they need to be fully replaced, or if I can treat and reinforce them. Has anyone dealt with similar issues? What are my options here?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
The white mould indicates a problem of high humidity, which is caused by a combination of damp and lack of air flow

You need to resolve that

In terms of the damage, get the mould cleaned off maybe with bleach etc, then inspect and see if the timber has deep rot rather than surface mould

Chop out the damp and loose material, review and dry out and fill gaps with resin. Likewise build up larger areas with an epoxy wood repair system like timbabuild . It’s a question of judgement if any damage is structural

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back