Asphalt / bitumen floor query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Have read numerous posts on this and here is mine.

Have concrete slab floor in lounge covered in approx 20mm thick bitumen dpm.
Upon removal of skirting boards I found some to be damp or rotten at the bottom. It was apparent they had been installed directly onto the concrete slab therefore absorbing moisture from it and then the bitumen floor poured/ laid up to them.

Furthermore, channels had been dug out of the bitumen and into the slab to put rad pipes. These have now been removed at the screed that covered it was just loose.

The bitumen covering does not meet the walls at all around the whole room and is quite damaged in various places.

My question is should I do the following;

- Dig up the Bitumen
- Fill in the channels in the concrete with either a Self leveller or SBR concrete mix.
- Liquid DPM the whole floor and a few inches up the walls.
- Lay floor levelling compound.

Was looking at using either Ardex DPM 1C or Stop gap F77.

OR
Get the floor repaired.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me mad. I have attached pictures for reference.

Thank you
20240924_114522.jpg
20240924_114543.jpg
20240924_114532.jpg
20240924_114522.jpg
20240924_114513.jpg

Sponsored Links
Damp survey and repair company.
Good tiler/ flooring person would also know.
They come out and advise.
Sometimes it's the only way to get a spec for the job. I know we don't like parting with cash but if you don't get an answer here consider paying for good advice. Get the job moving on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back